one friend is all i need

I sit there at my table. Alone. The buzz of the party is overwhelming. They're all shouting over one another. Getting louder.

There's a porch on the side of the building, facing towards a forest. The crickets are chirping, even though it's chilly outside. I walk outside, where a couple of people are standing around with drinks. It's way more quiet out here, but it's fucking cold. How the hell can people actually live in Vermont? How haven't they frozen to death?

I sit there, shivering in the light of lamps on the side of the building. My Spotify is whispering into my ears. I don't know what song this is, but it kinda saved me from the party. I add it to my liked songs.

I'm looking off into space, towards the woods, when in the corner of my eye, I see someone waving. I look towards the motion, and I see Lennox about ten feet away, leaning against the railing with Joquain. My hand is half up to wave back, but I get the urge to look behind me to see if it was really me they were waving to. There's no one behind me. I look back and finish waving. Damn, that was awkward.

Lennox whispers something to Joquain. Joquain grins and punches their shoulder and walks away. They scoot down the railing towards me. "Hi, Atlas."

"Hi-" my teeth start chattering before I can finish my sentance. My stiff fingers tap over to my weather app. 32 degrees farenheit. When did it get that cold?

"Are you ok? You're not even wearing a jacket." Their eyes search up and down my body. My jeans, button down, ratty Converse that I need to replace.

"Haha... it's not that bad-" but they grab my hand and actually drag me into the building. "What?"

"The police are already on my tail. I can't have anyone dying near me. If you freeze to death, I'm done for. That's a joke."

"I hope so." They laugh, then look down at my arms. There are goosebumps covering every inch of skin, and my teeth haven't stopped chattering.

"Are you- what- do you- common sense?"

"Uh, I'm going to say no."

"Obviously. You're blue, my friend. Not metaphorically. Well, possibly." They pause. "Is it ok if I rub your arms? To warm them up? Friction... yeah." I nod. They start rubbing their warm hands up and down my arms, their cold rings contrasting against the heat of their fingers. I no longer feel like an Atlasickle, but the awkwardness is real as we stand in a corner of the room, one shivering, and the other rubbing the first's arms.

"This is-" I laugh- "so freaking awkward."  They raise their eyebrows at me jokingly.

"Only if you make it awkward." Well, shit. That's fun. They see my flustered, awkward expression and laugh. "Sorry!"

"It's not funny."

"It is. Do you wanna go to the photo booth?" They guesture to the photo booth in another corner, filled with props. I agree, and we make our way over to the booth. Joquain is standing next to it on his phone, obviously bored. "Joquain, do you want to take pictures with us?"

"I'm ok, man,-" I can see pain in Lennox's eyes-  "I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." Lennox shoots a death glare towards him.

"Dude, shut the fuck up. We met tonight. And we're thirteen." Joquain puts his hands up in defense.

"Sorry, geez... I thought you were gay though?"

"Just because I'm omni doesn't mean I like every dude I see." Joquain laughs. He punches Lennox in the shoulder again and walks away. "I just love my best friend." I laugh.

"The next time that happens... I like the line 'Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I don't have standards.' Just don't use it for me because I'm above your standards."

"Is that so?" They still talk like an old British man.

"Sure is."

We take our photos: one in an Itchy and Scratchy pose, using foam microphones as bats. One with cowboy hats, and one with giant sunglsses. A wonderful fashion statement. The lady running the station prints out the photos, each one small enough to fit into my phone case.

"Extremely off topic, but it's kinda awkward that you left me your number in a dramatic-ish way but we saw each other again." They laugh and blush.

"I guess more reason for you to text me?" I raise my eyebrows playfully. "In all seriousness, I think I'd like it a lot if we stayed in touch." Peak middle school awkwardness.

"Uh, yeah. Me too. You don't suck."

"Suck what?" I flip him- them- off. "Dude, is that a ring that says Fuck You?"

"Yeah, my stepbrother and I got matching ones. It's gorgeous."

"It sure is."