A Fresh Start

"Winslow, what is this?" Cora looks up from her laptop to see the brown file folder holding the report she had submitted this morning, being held aloft by her unit supervisor.

"My report sir," she replied, meeting his intense gaze.

"Your report? You were asked to give a detailed report to assist in advising the council in selecting a soldier to take over the mantle of Captain America, Winslow. This is a 10 page document opposing the initiative as a whole."

Cora had been waiting for this all day.

"Yes sir. You asked me, as a previous associate of Steve Rogers, to look over the potential candidates and give my honest opinion. None of these candidates are capable of doing what Steve did. None of them are worthy of the shield. I stand by my decision that I will stand with Sam Wilson if he chooses to wield the shield, but until that time comes I think it would be a mistake for the Global Repatriation Council to select a new soldier to take on this role." The man's face grew more red with every word but before he could say anything she continued. "Besides, there are a lot more serious issues we need to be focusing on. The refugee camps are growing by the day and we don't have the supplies needed to support the current masses, let alone the thousands more that are flocking to the camps every day."

"You are meant to be focusing on the tasks we assigned you, Agent. You've been warned before that you're on thin ice after your outbreak at the last meeting. If you're not careful, your employment will be terminated. We can't afford to deal with internal tension as we finalize the Patch Act legislation."

Talk of the Patch Act caught Cora's attention. She had been removed from the committee very early on in the process due to her strong opposition to the proposed plan for those put out by the Blip. 

"Finalize? The Patch Act is a flawed idea. It is only going to lead to more unrest, you can't tell me that it's actually being approved."

"The US government is voting to approve it as we speak. The plan is to implement the Patch Act and reveal the identity of the new Captain America next month. Which again, is why I am here. Fix this report by end of day," he says dropping the folder on Cora's desk.   

"You what?" Sam's voice rang out from Cora's phone

"I quit." Cora was carrying a box of belongings that she had set up in her office during her time working for the Global Repatriation Council. "I thought that this was the best way to help after Steve left, but it's a flawed system. Seemed like the perfect time for a fresh start."

"Damn Cora. What is your plan now?" 

"I just need some time to figure things out. Do you remember when you said I was always welcome to stay with you in Louisiana? Does that offer still stand?"

Sam chuckled into the phone. "Of course. I'm in the city to officially turn over Steve's shield to the Smithsonian. How about you come with me to that and then we'll head down to see Sarah and the boys. I'm sure she'd love to see you again."

"You're the best Sam."

"I know."

"Steve represented the best in all of us

"Steve represented the best in all of us." 

Sam stood at the podium, shield resting on the ground next to him. All eyes in the room were on him as he spoke fondly of his old friend. The world hadn't known Steve in the same way as Sam and Cora had. Both had been drawn in by Steve's immense desire for doing the right thing, and stuck with him as they faced off against alien armies, super assassins from the past, and eventually against their friends during the Sokovia Accords. It was for Steve that they both accepted being branded traitors of the state and going on the run as a fugitive for years. They fully trusted Steve and in turn he shared more of himself with them than he had with anyone in many years. They watched as Steve was beat down and continually got back up. It was something that changed their lives for ever. 

"Courageous, righteous, hopeful, and a master at posing stoically,"  the crowd laughed. "The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil."

The crowed murmured quietly and cameras flashed. It was still a sensitive topic as the world's governments worked to find a solution the the current situation.

"We need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in." Same looked to Cora before continuing. "Symbols... are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing... " he said picking up the shield looking down at it intensely, clearly deep in thought. "I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he's gone." 

With this, he looked backup at the audience, pulling his thoughts away from the past and instead tried to focus on moving forward.

"Today we honour Steve's legacy. But also, we look to the future. So, thank you, Captain America, but this belongs to you." 

The crowd applauded as Same help the shield out to the museum employee who had joined him on stage. Cora saw Rhodey approach Sam as he got off the stage and decided to give the men some space. Instead she followed other members of the crowd through the exhibit dedicated to Steve. 

Walking through the exhibits, Cora saw bits and pieces of Steves life on display; a busted up motorcycle, uniforms for the entire Howling Commandos, footage from the first alien invasion in New York. Cora couldn't help but feel that the things that made Steve truly special were missing. The museum couldn't possibly show how Steve would appear soft spoken and caring at you door when you were having a particularly hard day, or how Steve was loyal to a fault and would never turn his back on those he was closest to, or how Steve constantly took the weight of the world onto his shoulders just to lighten the load for the people he cared for. 

Up ahead, separated from the main throng of people, Rhodey stepped away from Sam, nodding over the latter's shoulder in farewell to Cora, before heading off.

"Do you think I made the right choice?" Sam said when Cora reached his side. The pair stood shoulder to shoulder inspecting the shield in its new display in front of them.

"I think that my opinion doesn't matter. Do you think you made the right choice?"

Sam didn't speak for a second, before finally turning to face Cora. 

"Let's go Winslow. Sarah and the boys are expecting us."