Mending Relationships

TWs:
Notes: Written alongside mirabel_madrigal_

The next morning, Julia had been told to wait in her room until Isabela could talk to her, so that's what she did. She didn't really want to wait, but she had to so she didn't get in more trouble. She sat on her bed and waited impatiently. She still didn't understand why what she said was such a big deal.

The door soon opened and her mother came in with a bag of stuff.

"Hola, Mamá." Julia greeted. She knew she was going to be in a lot of trouble.

"Julia."

Julia heard her mother's cold and somewhat angry tone. "¿Sí, Mamá?"

"I'm very disappointed."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Julia said. "Let's just get this over with. What's my punishment?" Julia didn't really want to hear her mother ramble on about how disappointed she was.

"Do you remember your Abuela?"

"Sí." Julia nodded, unsure what her Abuela Julieta had to do with this.

"And do you remember how much you loved her and how angry you get when someone talks bad about her?"

Julia nodded slowly. "Sí..."

"Then image how I feel."

"I just... don't understand." Julia said.

"I love my sister, even if she isn't here."

"If you love her so much, how come you never talk about her? I know nothing about her because you never talk about her."

"It was painful to see... to see her body."

Julia didn't know what to say. She stayed silent for a bit before speaking up again, "I didn't know you had even seen the body."

"I was one of the two who found her."

"Who was the other?" Julia questioned.

"Dolores."

Julia nodded. "Well... what was she like? Por favor, Mamá, enlighten me."

"She was amazing. She was kind and caring."

"How so?" Julia questioned.

"Even though she didn't have a gift, she worked harder than anyone of us to make sure we all talked to each other."

"And?"

"We took her for granted."

"And then she..." Julia trailed off, knowing that her mother knew what she meant.

Isabela nodded. "She was bloodied and beaten."

"How old was she when she... you know...?" Julia asked.

"15."

"Only 15?" Julia questioned quietly, yet loud enough for her mother to hear.

Isabela nodded. "With mamá dying, she had lived a long and good life."

"I have a question, Mamá... well, another question... I know I've been asking a lot..." Julia said.

"It's alright."

"What was your sisterhood like with Mirabel...?" Julia asked this question carefully, now understanding better just how much Isabela was effected by the death of her sister.

"For a long time, I was a horrible sister. Then, we started to improve our relationship."

"And?" Julia asked, wanting to know if there was more.