Higgs opened his eyes but he couldn't move. How long had it been since he'd been captured? It felt like weeks but he was pretty sure it was only a few days. Elizabeth was right in her threats and he learned not to mention Merida; trying to be smart about it only made it worse as well. He knew that if he was patient and could wait, Merida would find him. He thought being the werewolf would protect him in some way but somehow Elizabeth knew exactly what to do to him to make him useless even in that form. That whip she used on him wasn't ordinary; hell, nothing was ordinary with this woman. It was as if she knew how to cater to the curse and for some reason there were nights where he was even too weak to even turn into the werewolf plus, the lashes weren't healing like they should.

Elizabeth's face came into view, startling him from his thoughts but he really couldn't move.

"I may have given you too much wolfsbane to weaken you and now you're not turning. My mistake. I'm going to let you rest up and heal before I go any further. You're not really going to be able to move much since it's not only a poison but a muscle relaxer.

Higgs lolled his head away from her to not look at her. Seeing her face just made him want to vomit and he felt like his body wasn't going to accomplish that well in its current condition. Elizabeth moved his face back to look at her.

"Are you trying to piss me off? You look at me when I'm talking to you, do you understand?" He nodded as best as he could. "What do we say?"

"You're... right..." he croaked, the wolfsbane making it hard to talk.

"When?"

"Always..."

"Very good. You learn so fast! I'm going to get you some broth to drink and then I'll let you sleep that wolfsbane off. You're not fun like this."

She left the room as Higgs stared at the ceiling. He didn't remember when he was transferred to a flat surface; all the days were running together and nothing was making any sense. He felt tears running down his face, unable to stop them because he was so weak.

"Merida... please..." Please find me...

******************

There was a knock at the door and Edgar ran to it quickly. He yanked open the door but upon seeing who it was, the small flicker of hope diminished.

"Lord Northumberly..." he said sadly.

"I... just heard..." Jamison said, panting and leaning on his knees.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Yes."

Edgar let him come in and led him to the living room, finding him some water. He handed a glass to Jami and he drank it in one huge gulp and Edgar poured him some more so he could sip on it as Jamison tried to catch his breath.

"I ran up the hill as fast as I could as soon as I heard. What exactly happened? Getting anything out of Fuchsia was impossible because she was going into hysterics."

"What did she tell you?"

"All I heard from her sobbing was that Higgs wasn't here and that something happened. Fuchsia may seem delicate but she's not like these other women, so seeing her so upset made me realize something was wrong."

"Well, basically, Mr. Higgs left for the night in his werewolf form and hasn't returned."

"How long has he been missing?"

"Two weeks. Merida feels that Elizabeth Hinkley has him but we have no absolute proof to pin her as the culprit. There is other evidence that suggests that she is involved somehow but it's not something that could be used to accuse someone and we really need to get into her house for more verification."