Second Chances

The ride to my house was quiet with Nami looking through the window at his surroundings of the new unfamiliar area he's found himself in. I can only imagine how he feels, the amount he must feel as though he has on his plate.

The first time he looked at me was when I pulled into my driveway of my home. A small two floor townhouse surrounded by other buildings surrounded by trees.

"Everything is so far apart from each other," he stated climbing out of the car as I did.

"Yeah, that's upstate New York for you," I reply grabbing bags out of the back of my car that he helped with, closing the trunk which seemed to confuse him.

"We're coming back out, why would you close the trunk?" He asked following behind me while I walk up the steps and unlock my door.

"I have trust issues," I place the bags and walk back to the door to close it. "I have a cat, please remember to close the door, I do my best to prevent her from terrorizing local wildlife," I try to say in a serious manner with joking tones. He just nods back to me, following me back out to the car to grab the rest of our Target haul.

By the time we finish, Nami is sitting at the dinning table as I'm un-bagging and organizing the groceries in the cupboards and fridge. While he un-bagged the clothes, placing them softly on the table.

"I think we should just order dinner, any ideas?" I ask and he just shrugs.

"We can get pizza, pizza sounds good, PAPRIKA!" I yell out my cat's name.

It's very quiet at first but I can hear her little feet pat on the carpet coming downstairs and into the kitchen, where she sits with an eye view of Nami and I, but she then proceeds to chirp and rub herself on my leg. I lean down and pet her, filling her food bowl and putting more water in her little fountain.

"Go say hi to Nami Rika," She looks at me and follows my finger pointing to the strange man sitting at our table. With caution she walks towards him, I could see him stiffen in his seat when she jumps onto the table and sits directly across from him, a staring contest is being held between both before she leans in and bops her nose on him.

"Not used to cats Nami?" I'm chuckling seeing him acting like a statue around the curious fur ball. He just shakes his head. I begin to walk over, and I grab at the clothes sitting on the table before throwing my hand up and make a notion for him to follow me.

Upon reaching the rooms upstairs I walk into my room.

'You can stay in here, this is my room, but I often spend time in my office," I say walking over to my dresser and emptying out some drawers and replacing my clothes with his and making some space in the closet to hang up the nicer clothing.

"Oh, I couldn't possible intrude, I can sleep on the couch," He tries to say before I scoff, now grabbing my clothes and motioning for him to follow me once more. This time I lead him into my office.

"This is my office," I say and point to the small bed that lays in the room. "I have two beds so when I have a guest I can sleep and work in here as to not interrupt my guests. I just use both because I rarely ever have guests, I care about enough to even offer for them to sleep on an actual bed." I probably sound crazy and make no sense.

"Why would you let people you don't care for sleep at your house?" He curiously asks me.

"I used to party, and I was kind of friends with those people, but we don't talk anymore, and I was never comfortable with anyone from that group being in a personal space," I bring my clothes to the closet in this room. "But enough about me, you should shower and change out of those clothes, how do you like them washed?"

Time slipped on as Nami showered I did some work and ordered our pizza. Paprika following me around as she usually does. I was so lost in my work I didn't even notice Nami standing in my doorway until I heard some light taps in the doorway. Causing me to turn around and look towards the noise. The sight almost had my jaw dropping, instead I could feel my face burn up at the sight in front of me.

Nami was standing in my doorway, in nothing but the towel I gave him.

"I have seemed to forget what drawers you placed my clothing in," he let out a light cough, throwing me back into the present moment in time and bringing my eyes up to his.

"Oh-uh-y-yeah, let me show you," I get up and as I go to walk past him, he brings the back of his hand up and places it on forehead, stopping me in my path, the space now drastically the closest we've been since meeting at the store.

"Your face is red, are you okay?" He sounds concerned as he asks me this. My mouth runs dry and water droplets fall from his hair and onto the carpeted flooring.

"O-oh *haha* y-yeah, just peachy" I let out the fakest smile and squirm myself out of his gaze and proceed to quickly walk to the room, he follows close behind me, his stride closing in on my own due to his height. I pull out the clothes for him and keep my gaze on the ground as I walk past him and close the door.

Nami met me downstairs where I was sitting with the pizza that got delivered during his time getting dressed. He sat in the seat next to mine.

"So, about this whole situation?" He asked, cutting the pizza with a fork and knife as to avoid getting his perfectly manicured hands messy.

"Yeah, give me a second," I get up and walk to the living room where my book collections reside, pulling all the JJK manga that I have from the shelf and walking back into the kitchen. Sadness now overwhelming me as I walk back and place the books in front of him, he proceeds to dart his eyes between me and the books, noticing the distraught look on my face.

"This is all of the manga presently about where you're actually from, I should warn you, it gets pretty depressing," I can feel tears well up in my eyes as he pushes his plate aside, me doing the same thing.

He skims through the books before he stops, staring at a section of the book.

I could see his eyes widen through my cloudy vision before he proceeds to take a sip of his water and throw his head back.

"You did an amazing job Nanami," was all I could say as I now felt my tears coming in steady streams down my face, gripping the hem of my sweatshirt. I'm pulled out of my pity party upon feeling his hand on my shoulder, I wipe my eyes and look at him, noting the small smile on his face.

"Thank you, and now I've been granted this second chance to live out a peaceful and quiet life." He says gripping my shoulder.

And for the first time I allow my emotions to override everything, I reach over and embrace him, throwing my arms around his neck, sobbing as after a split second he embraces me back, gently wrapping his arms around me.

"I must mean a lot to you," he says to me.

"Yes, you do." I embrace him tighter, nuzzling my face into his neck as he rubs my back.