Chapter 2 - Montero & Sorokin Law Firm

JAX

"Anak ng mayor? Grabe ka na ang laki ng nakuha mo ah!"

"Sa tingin mo, magkano ibibigay niya sa'yo?"

"Masarap ba? Panuod ng video mamaya ah!"

I jolted awake and my heart is beating so fast. Napahawak ako sa dibdib ko, I felt the surge of tears begging to be release.

"Men don't cry! How are you gonna be a lawyer if little things make you cry?!" Naalala kong inis na sambit ni Daddy habang pinapalo ako gamit ang sinturon.

Huminga ako ng malalim at pilit na ngumiti. Tumingin ako sa kisame, animong kinakausap si Mommy sa langit. "If only you were here, I would have a shoulder to cry on."

I stopped my car in front of the building. My attention goes to the people standing at the walking lane across the law firm. Holding some kind of poster signs. Before I could even read the posters, a group of men blocked my sight from the car window. On my right window however, a familiar face, hands on their knees is crouching in front of the car knocking on the window.

I push the button of my car to roll down the window. Ang boses ng mga tao, which I suspect were the people holding the signs, ang unang bumungad sa tenga ko bago ko marinig ang "Hello." ng lalaking pamilyar ang mukha sa aking isipan.

"Sinungaling! Korap!"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, naramdaman ko na nanginginig ako. Biglang bumalik saakin ang galit at sikip sa aking dibdib. Nothing changed, I haven't changed anything yet. I was helpless since I was just a teenager the last time I went here.

"Close this window again and let me in the car. I'll help you find the private parking space."

As soon as he enters the car I quickly remembered his name. "Francis?"

Associate Francis Suarez. The second-hand of my father, he was my Dad's paralegal ever since the law firm is only a rented unit. Now, he was able to get a degree and pass the bar exam. I heard on the news that he became a Senior Associate now.

As I drive to another route behind the law firm building, he said "8 years was a lot huh. You grew up well. Got any girlfriend?"

Matagal na din nuong nakita ko siya at si Daddy. That is because I was locked in my dorm room in my university for straight 8 years. The only time I sneaked out— Forget it.

"What did Dad do this time?" Seryoso kong tanong but I quickly shifted into a clueless look because I didn't want him to think that I was mad.

"Ah. Yeah, you know... the usual." Wala akong nakitang news kaninang umaga tungkol sa tatay ko kaya wala akong kaalam-alam sa sinasabi niya. But I had an idea, it was because he represented a case involving the President of the Philippines.

I parked my car at the newly private parking space. There was only four slots with two cars already parked which means that Dad is already here and the other one which I presume is Francis' car.