He's Gone

Note: None of this actually belongs to me this is most all Shannon Messengers, the characters, the past, the setting (lost cities). It all belongs to her but this fanfic I made up on my own. I'm your author and I have to warn you that this is my first story. EVER. I really hope you enjoy and if you are a sofitz fan two things. 1. I'M TEAM FOSTER-KEEFE and will never understand you and 2. Please stay to read my story bc I will show you why Keefe and Sophie match better than Fitz( I will keep the Fitz hate down, swear). If you like it or have a suggestion, comment, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism tell me or hit the star button in the right corner. No hate and no cussing in comments.

Oh and If you haven't read Unlocked don't read this. It has Spoilers. Don't ruin this for yourselves.

"I don't understand." Those were the first words that came out of Sophie's mouth. She had leapt back to Havenfield and went up to her room. She hadn't noticed Grady's sad expression in her haste to get changed into clean clothes. She was about to change out of her smoke and grim ridden clothes when she seen the letter and noticed it was addressed to her. At first she had frozen, afraid that it was a message from the Neverseen. She had slowly walked over and opened it. Then she had  relaxed. It was from Keefe. She had figured that from not only the familiar handwriting but the way the letter started. To the Mysterious Miss F! She had rolled her eyes and smiled at the nickname and continued reading but when she finished she had to read it again. And again. And again. 

Until it finally hit her.

Sophie stared at the the letter in her hand because that was about all she could do at the moment. She stood there, deathly pale and lost, like a ghost, looking at the paper without really seeing it. She collapsed onto her knees feeling like the breath was knocked out of her. Her head was spinning. Keefe was gone, for real this time, and there was nothing she could do about it. Nothing she could say to bring him back. 

A small part of her brain said she should be happy for Keefe. Now that he was finally away from all of the danger and chaos. But that part was overshadowed by the empty feeling in her heart and the single thought running through her head. I'll never see Keefe again. He left. He left me. She was dimly aware that Sandor had came in to check on her and was running to get Grady. She was dimly aware of the tears that were coursing down her cheeks like rivers of salt water. But she didn't notice any of it because that was when her anger set in. No, that wasn't right. Sophie wasn't angry, she was filled with a black force of hate. Keefe wasn't safe, no in fact he was in even more danger and it was all her  fault. "Lady" Gisela and the Neverseen. It was their fault. They hurt Keefe. They had hurt everyone, but him the most. This time she wouldn't show mercy. The Neverseen were going to pay.

 She would make sure of it. 

***************

It had been a few hours since she had found Keefe's note and read it. Now Sophie was in a fresh pair of clothes and laying on her bed. Sandor had came in a several minutes after her collapse with Grady and Sophie had showed them the letter. Grady had hugged her and surprisingly made no comments on "That Boy". Grady had left to hail Edaline and tell her the news. He had asked Sophie if she was going to hail her friends and tell them about Keefe. 

Sophie was now on her bed staring at the imparter in her hand. She knew she should tell them and she would because they deserved  to know. But at the same time she couldn't. She didn't want her friends to feel what she was feeling. The hate, anger, guilt, fear and hurt that she had felt and was still feeling hours later. She knew what she had to do though. And she hated it. She knew Keefe felt worse though and at the thought of that made her want to hug him. Hard. But he wasn't here and her friends needed to know.

She hailed Dex first. 

Dex picked up "Hey, So-" He looked at her. "Whoah, what happened?" He could tell something was wrong by the tearstained eyes and guilt in her expression. Sophie was just glad he didn't see the rage hiding in her eyes. "Hey Dex, sit down okay? This is going to be hard and it's about Keefe." Dex froze and then whispered "Did he hurt anyone?" "NO!" Sophie screamed losing it for a second. "He would NEVER do that." She took a breathe. "H-he's gone. He left." Dex sank into the bed in what she assumed was his room. He went pale and was silent for a few moments and looked away. Sophie could tell by the shaking of his shoulders and strangled breaths that he was crying. "Tell me everything." Was his only reply after he had calmed down.

Sophie bit the inside of her cheek. "Okay, well first you should know that he didn't leave to join the Neverseen." Dex visibly relaxed. He looked confused but waited for her to explain. "I know that he didn't join the Neverseen because he-he left a note. It said...  It said that he... he had to-" Sophie took a deep breath trying to control herself. "It said that he had to leave, to hide away from his mom because of what she did to him. He said that we shouldn't look for him... that it would be too dangerous." At this part Sophie had to take another breathe and give herself a few moments to collect herself but she couldn't stop the tears when she said "He asked us to forget about him." Dex looked shocked and hurt. The expression on his face warring from shock, to anger, to hurt and last a deep sympathy for Keefe who thought he had to distance himself to protect his friends. Dex expression quickly settled into shock and rage when Sophie said

"And we will."

"WHAT?!!!"

Dex exploded. "We can't just leave him out there, in who knows where, when his mom could get to him at any given time.""De-" Sophie tried to interrupt. "Don't Sophie." He said. "Look you're my best friend, and I know that you're the moonlark and your the leader but we are not letting Keefe just leave and forget all about him! Last time I saw him he was so upset and-" "I know." Sophie replied. "if you think-" Dex stopped. He blinked. "What?" He said. Sophie sighed and rubbed her still drying eyes and said "We will find him, but right now we can't. Keefe was right. Gisela will be waiting for us to find him and then the Neverseen will just sweep in and take him back to their base. We'll be playing right into their hands. We will get Keefe back, but our first priority is... defeating the Neverseen." 

Dex blinked. "Okay but-"Sophie interrupted. "There's way to do both. I have I plan."

Hi, I'm sorry that chapter was so short but I thought it might be better to end here today. I will try to publish another update tomorrow but I don't know if I'll have time. Thanks to the people reading this and having patience with me. I will make the next chapter longer. Swear!  Also just wondering, what did you think of Sophie's reaction? Did I do good or did you imagine it a different way? Thanks for reading! Bye!