We Danced

He stepped into the room where he once danced, holding her close in his arms. His footsteps were heavy, the sound resonating through the walls as the heels of his boots met the floor.

The sun had set, leaving the room lit dimly by two candles, a small pink one and one of a deep navy blue resting on a small table in the middle of the room.

The sweet sound of laughter rang in his ears as his eyes rested upon a little stuffed lamb donning a pink bow on one of its ears.

Why are you sad? I'm a big girl! I'll get better.

Tears filled his eyes as he reached for the doll, wishing for but one more smile, one more dance.

They didn't listen. Nobody did. She needed him, and he needed her. Had he been there, she would've been strong enough. She would've been strong enough to hold on just a little longer.

I've failed you, and now it's cost you.

He held the doll out in front of him, holding both of its hands as he slowly began dancing around the space.

Laughter rang once again, the tears now flowing freely.

Come on, spin me faster! I'm okay! I'm gonna be all better!

Suddenly, masked figures appeared in the doorway carrying canisters of gasoline and boxes of matches.

What are you doing here? We told you to leave! Out, now!

They rushed him out of the house, wrenching the doll from his hands. He cried out desperately, one hand pushing his way free and one hand reaching for the lamb.

He shouted as the figures put out and smashed the candles, ripping the many drawings off the walls.

Let me have the doll! Let me have my daughter!

They shoved him out of the open doorway and into the streets where the other townspeople waited. They shouted at him, called him names, beat him, and forced him to watch as his house lit up in flames.

They tossed the doll into the bright red flames, the bow came loose, and he watched as it blew into the night sky.

She's gone, and you're leaving too!

The townspeople drove him out with broomsticks and lighters, reminding him of his crimes.

Grown men don't dance with their sick daughters, you pervert!

He had danced with his little girl to give her hope and a man to love, something to look forward to in her future.

He danced to show he loved and cherished her.

She was all he had, and he all she had.

They had taken his wife and just took his daughter. They took his house and ruined the last of his dignity. Now he had nothing.

--

This one was written by our other friend!