Our Family Home

I paced in my room after overhearing my parents' conversation with the people in our neighbourhood.

Stopping at my window, I peered outside, taking notice of the various three-story houses surrounding my family's bungalow.

Sure, it stands out a little, but it's our home.

The people had complained about the renovations done to their houses to make the neighbourhood appear more modern and attract more buyers.

According to them, our house was old and ugly and made their efforts to fix the area go to waste.

We've been here since I was a baby. They can't make us leave!

They told my parents to move and allow the city to take the building down. That is unless we wanted to join the others and renovate.

My parents had argued that our house was fine the way it was and that it would make the city unique.

This house has been here for generations! We can't change it! Plus, newcomers might think of it as a unique feature.

Whatever my parents had to say didn't matter. The people had eventually given up and left to visit the town hall.

Our thirteen neighbours would come together, sign a few papers, and get our family evicted from our property.

Before fleeing to my room, I heard one final piece.

You'll leave, one way or another. You can't stay. We won't let you.

Fifteen minutes had passed, and my parents eventually walked into my room and joined me at my window.

There was nothing we could do. We wouldn't win this battle.

We would lose our home, and our city would become perfect.

Pack your bags. We have to go, I'm sorry.