five: birthday promises

Eight

Misty eyes meet golden ones, and Mirai Sasaki swears that when he sees All Might, he will beat the shit out of him.

Because it's well past midnight, and he's late.

*
*
*

When the young girl woke up that morning, she was greeted with the scent of her favorite breakfast wafting through the air. When she opened her sleep-ridden eyes, pretty pink balloons crowded her field of vision, along with a giant white bunny plush with a neat pink bow tied around its neck at the foot of her bed.

Rubbing the night's sleep from her eyes, she squeals as she realizes that her birthday has finally arrived.

She pushes off her comforter and rushes to hug the soft plush of the bunny. As she embraces the plush, inhaling a comforting, familiar scent, she notices a note attached to the bunny.

Happy birthday, my little crystal. Come and join your grandfather and me for breakfast.

Your favorite uncle,

Nighteye

Smiling at the neat script, the girl looks presentable before heading out of her room.

The girl makes her way to the dining room: when she reaches the entrance, the sight of her favorite pseudo-uncle and grandfather awaits her.

The two older men notice her immediately, and both break into small smiles. Then, the taller of the two-the man, who has become the closest thing to an uncle to her, takes a couple of strides towards her and gently lifts her in his arms, causing her to laugh in glee.

"Happy birthday!" he exclaims before setting her down. Mirai watches her eyes twinkle with happiness as she eyes the spread that he and Torino prepared for her.

"Happy birthday, princess. Go and wash up, and then you can dig in."

"Thank you! I'll be back real quick, so don't start without me! It's my birthday, so you have to do whatever I say," (Y/N) says as she makes her way toward the kitchen to wash her hands.

Torino and Mirai can only laugh at the girl's response. But, while she is growing older, they're both happy to see that she still holds that child-like gleam in her eye— something that most people take for granted.

Nevertheless, the girl returns, and the trio sits down at the table and begins to dig in. Light chatter can be heard, and everything is going well between the three. Their stomachs are full, and their hearts are content; nothing can ruin it except—

"Papa is busy again, isn't he?"

It takes all of Mirai's strength to not flinch at her question. Instead, her tone is uncharacteristically sad, unlike her usual bubbly self.

He shares a look with Torino, silently asking him whether they should tell her the truth.

But she already knows.

Because the truth is that Toshinori Yagi is out being All Might, saving those in need.

But right now, the one who needs him is none other than his daughter. His sweet little girl, whose eighth birthday is today.