Chapter 2

Dan dialed the numbers: 0864039557.

"What's up?" the voice answered. It was his contact. A fellow agent.

"I need your help. We need to meet. I'll text you the coordinates," Dan answered and hung up. In the deafening silence, he looked at the pictures that Sean gave him with jumbled emotions. For one, he's hopeful that after countless months of time and effort, he might possibly be able to quit with a light heart after Tawi and his allies get punished for their deeds. He began to think of the future... with Yok... his next occupation... maybe he could open a bar or a cafe. And then, there was also the matter of introducing Yok to his parents. Of course, those feelings also came with feelings of fear. What if it doesn't go according to plan? Before he was fine if he died for justice and law... for law and order, but now, he had a reason to live. He had to live for Yok.

He remembered their recent conversation and the lingering sweetness that came after it. Yok holding Dan's hands and piercing his heart with those eyes. With the smile of an angel but the lips of a temptress, Yok seductively teased, "Where can you go? You can't run from me. You know that, don't you?" Yok's touch temporarily assuaged his panic like it always did. And then came the kiss... Oh sweet lord the kiss! Well, to be specific, it was a peck... but it was a peck that left Dan yearning for more. One that Dan wished he could capture and keep with for the rest of his life...

But right now, Dan needed to focus... to make sure that he didn't disappoint Yok... and Sean for that matter. He had to do his job and that he did. After meeting with his contact, he relaxed as he messaged Yok the good news.

...

I messed up... I brought too much attention to myself. Dan tried to make sense of his surroundings... tried to move but he was restrained and blindfolded. The blindfold came off, and Dan was adjusting his vision. Dan scanned his setting and tried to absorb his circumstances. Finally, his eyes settled on an old man, confused. Who is he? He looks familiar...

"Sub-Lieutenant Dan, sir," the henchman next to Dan announced. Dan was still disoriented. Fear and hopelessness started to well up. He tried to focus and comprehend what was happening, yet he couldn't let go of the fact that Tawi, the supposed big bad drug lord, might not be the end game... that there was always going to be someone above him.

"I might need to send someone to talk to your parents instead. Maybe they can change your mind instead," the old man concluded. Dan forced his mind to stop wondering and finally reacted. My parents? He couldn't bring his parents into this. They were innocent. Dan fought his instincts to glare at the old man... to struggle out of his restraints to attack the old man. He needed to adapt to the situation and send out the new information to his unit.

After a while, Dan asked, "If I work with you, nothing will happen to my parents?" The old man returned his question with a smile... one that brought chills to Dan's spine. The old man's eyes were devoid of emotions.

"Of course," the old man replied.

"What about... the others? The gang? What will happen to them? You're not going to hurt them, right?" Dan asked, scared for Yok's safety.

"They'll be detained, but no harm will come to them. You have my word..."

"Alright, I will work with you..." Dan finally uttered. Guilt welled up inside him as he thought of Yok, and how Yok would react when he realized, but it was best of a bad situation. This way, Dan could control what happens and make sure that Yok and his friends won't get hurt... hopefully...

...

*Beep beep beep*

Dan woke up to the smell of antiseptic. He groggily looked at the tubes connected to his arms. He reached up to feel the prongs in his nose when he grimaced from the pain. He clutched his sides when he heard a light knock on the door and then entered after a moment of silence. It was his recruiter. The officer looked at him with a look of relief. "How are you feeling, Dan?" he asked as he came over and checked on Dan.