LIE #2

LIE #2

Early one Sunday morning there was a knock on the door. My parents were just about to drag me to church along with my brother Jake, much to our displeasure. Even though we were adults at 19 and 21, we still lived with our parents and they had enough leverage to still boss us around and exercise some degree of influence over us. We were under their roof, and they knew what the Wi-Fi password was.

Jake was attending the closest University in the week, and surfing at numerous beaches on weekends. My parents believed I was doing night course at the local TAFE. If only they knew.

"JAKE! GET THE DOOR!"

Jake looked up from the couch.

"WHY CAN'T MEG GET IT? SHE'S CLOSER!"

He smirked at me.

"MEG, GET THE DOOR." He shouted, even though I was only sittin across from him.

"I hate you, Jake." Nevertheless, I shut my laptop and got up from the couch, 'accidently' pushing Jake off the other couch in the process.

"What the hell?" He half-shouted at me.

"I will not have that language in this house, Jacob Christopher!"

Mum was standing at the bottom of the stairs, hands on hips.

"My full name isn't even Jacob mum! You know that it is literally just Jake!"

"I don't care, young man! That was your father's choice not mine."

"That doesn't change the fact that my name isn't Jacob."

"Fine, Jake." She turned to me. "I notice you still haven't opened the door. Don't keep those poor people waiting any longer." She pointed at the door.

"You're now here, why don't you just open it yourself."

"Fine. I will."

She stalked over to the door and wrenched it open.

"Hello. What can I-"

"Director Fury, ma'am. We are here to talk with your daughter."

He pushed past my mum and walked into the house.

"Hello, Meg, Jake. I hope I'm not keeping you from anything important."

"Well, besides distracting me from nearly beating my Flappy Bird high score-"

"Be quiet Jake." My mum snapped.

"Who do you think you are, Director Fury, you can't just waltz into my house and expect us to comply! We have rights! And yes, you were keeping us from something, we were just about to go to church!"

"I'm very sorry, ma'am, but this is very important."

"What can be more important than church? We are a catholic family."

"No, mum. YOU are catholic. Dad smokes pot on his days off, I have a tattoo and Jake has an abnormal amount of piercings and we only go to church so we're not on washing up duty. We are very far from Catholic."

Mum was silent.

"You go to church mum, I'll stay here with Jake to listen to what he has to say."

I gestured to the man that was standing before us.

He was tall, dressed completely in very official-looking black. He also sported an eye patch with edges of scars coming out from around the edges. Ouch.