chapter fourteen

a sudden sound from nearby pulled my dream away from me. as the sound dragged on, the world around me came into focus and my eyes adapted to the daylight. I felt someone starting to move next to me and realised it was Claire who was waking up as well.

"turn it off" she groaned, putting the pillow on her head so it would mute the sound.

I moved over so my hand could reach my nightstand and searched for my phone. when I finally felt it laying on my nightstand, I turned the alarm off.

I rolled over so I was now laying on my back and I stared at the ceiling. as soon as my mind put together the pieces and figured out what day it was today, a knot seemed to tighten in my stomach.

in exactly two hours, I had to be at Bella's office, and we'd have a talk about everything. I knew I had to tell her I couldn't go on like this, but I didn't want to. I knew she wouldn't take it lightly, and that scared me. but it was something I had to do for me, for us.

I got out of bed, which earned me another groan from Claire, now being because of the cold wind that entered the bed when I stepped out of it.

"why did you even have to get up this early?" she asked, but I wasn't sure if she was actually interested in the answer.

"im seeing a possible eh- new client" I made up. yes, that was actually a great excuse. I would just tell her it hadn't worked out and we'd never hear from the client again. that way, she also didn't have to know about Bella. problem solved.

"oh that's great! im sure you'll blow them away" she reassured me sweetly.

"now if you don't mind, im going back to sleep" she added. I smiled at her adorableness. I gave her a kiss on her forehead and let her sleep on in peace.

after I got dressed and had some breakfast, I quietly got my stuff and opened the front door. ironically, this time it didn't squeak, as if it knew I wasn't sneaking out right now.

when I stepped outside, the cold morning London air hit me. I smelled the fresh bread from the bakery across the street which I loved so much. I tightened my scarf so the cold couldn't get in my coat and walked towards my car. I got in the car and turned on the engine. the radio turned on by itself and Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga started playing. it immediately got me in a better mood, and boosted my self confidence.

I can do this, it's not that hard. I'd just tell Bella how I felt and she'd either understand or fire me, but both ways would lead to me not having the job anymore. sounded like a plan.

I drove to Bella's office while listening to the radio and going over everything I wanted to say. I decided I wanted to keep it short but powerful. I only needed a few words to convey my message.

as I parked my car and got my stuff, I was surprised that my confidence didn't fully disappear. I had really thought that as soon as the radio would turn off and i'd get ready to walk into Bella's office, every single bit of self confidence would just leave my body, but to my surprise it didn't.

being sure that this was all going to end well, I walked into the building. I knocked on Bella's door and entered when she told me to come in.

"ah y/n, there you are. take a seat" she said, pointing to the empty seat in front of her desk.

for a moment, I doubted whether I should ask about her holiday or not, but I decided not to after thinking about it for a while. she didn't strike me as a person who'd go on and on about their holiday. it would be best if i'd just get to business.