Part 4, Chapter 31

Sky

Where has Moonlight gone? Sky couldn't stop wondering. The thought was nagging her like a bad omen. Moonlight had climbed up the stairs with Akio a while ago, the two of them disappearing amidst flocks of birds. The guests kept dancing and chatting, but they were growing agitated and bored. The Wind God had announced he would make a declaration at midnight; the time was approaching, and guests were moving restlessly. Sky could feel the beginning of a headache in her temples. Where was Moonlight? They certainly didn't have time for this; Moonlight needed to use her magic to find Destiny.

As she fidgeted with the hem of her gloves, she wondered if she should search for Moonlight. She had never been in Spindly Pinnacle before, but she would knock at every door upstairs if she had to. Maybe something had happened; maybe her sister needed help. Sky wouldn't just stand there and do nothing.

Just as she was reaching the stairs, she felt someone's eyes on her back. She turned; the Wind God giving her a frigid glare. He had been watching her since she had first arrived, tracking her every move. Every time he called her Sky pretended, she was needed elsewhere. She had been dodging him all night- quite successfully in fact- but she was running out of options. The moment he got too close he would realize she wasn't Destiny Tumbman. She could not let that happen.

The Wind God put out a hand to dismiss a drunken reveler. He was making his way toward her, probably to ask her about Moonlight's whereabouts. Sky wracked her mind for a way to escape. She could rush up the stairs and hope to find Moonlight. Or she could...

"Do you need assistance, princess?" Jai caught her wrist, twirling her around. He pushed her to the dancing hall; kissing her hand so quickly Sky didn't have time to react. She jerked back, releasing his feather-like grip. He sighed, but a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "It's always a pleasure to help you."

"What are you doing?" She seethed. She looked over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of the Wind God drowning a glass of wine. He was not happy- how could he be? It was due time for his proclamation, yet he had lost one of his protégées and the other refused to acknowledge him.

"What does it look like?" He cocked a brow at her, his eyes glinting dangerously. "I'm asking you to dance," His lips parted in his feline smile that made butterflies flutter in her stomach. "Or are you afraid of falling in love with me?"

Sky snorted. As if that could ever happen. She bowed, accepting his dance. "I don't see why not," She took his hand again, placing the other on his shoulder. Her breath caught when he moved closer, guiding her past muttering couples to the center of the dancing hall. His eyes remained locked on hers, gentle and warm. Sky couldn't understand him; he was always so hard to read. In one moment, he would reject her, only to hold her near the next. She wouldn't let him see the power he had over her. "If you can keep up with me."

He tipped his face, murmuring in her ear. "I don't think that will be a problem," He squeezed her waist. Finding herself out of words, Sky gave him a questioning look. Jai's eyes stopped at her lips. "I'm feeling generous, tonight. I'll let you do the talking. You can ask me whatever you want, I'll answer."

Sky narrowed her eyes. She knew Jai, and she knew exactly what to ask him. He would find some way to dodge her questions. "Will you answer with the truth?"

He played with her hair. "After seeing Destiny and Akio again tonight, I realized how little you truly know me. I haven't always been fair to you, and for that I'm sorry," Sky blinked, caught off guard. He looked sincere, even vulnerable. Her heart flipped, she hadn't expected him to try to open up to her. He continued, "Don't get me wrong, I'm still angry at you for lying to me, but... if I'm honest with myself I can't really blame you. I lied to you first. So, yeah..." He blew out a breath, giving her a tentative smile. "You get three questions and I promise to answer them truthfully."