4, THE LEXINGTON ESTATE.

♡

"ms. lewis, nice to meet you. my name is francesca—the house head of staff." a somewhat old white woman extended her hand to nova as the young woman walked up the stairs of the lexington estate.

nova gave her a small smile, taking her hand and giving it a firm shake. "hi, how are you?"

"very well, thank you. i will be giving you a tour of the estate today, as well as introducing you to the staff that will be working under you." she turned to indicate it was time to walk and nova followed behind, entering the estate and practically gawking at the space.

black staircases stood on either side, ascending to the upper floor. the walls were white and the floor too. it was quite the polished look, nova would say. yes, it was a manor just like malcolm's, but rather a regal and classical feel, this was more modern. a note to nova that this was probably where jack came often to escape his father, adding his own touch to feel more at home.

before officially starting the tour, as it was a habit for her from working in other peoples homes, nova slipped in a pair of booties over her shoes. she received a questioning look from francesca, but the older woman held no objection nor question to nova's actions.

she first brought nova to the living area, which was just at the end of the foyer. it was larger than any living room nova has ever been in, with black and white furniture. it had red walls for color, and a fireplace. "this is usually where you would host guests. as they come in our staff would bring them here to relax and unwind. mr. harlow likes to keep things minimal in here—no close belongings or trinkets around as accessories."

francesca showed nova the many pictures and art pieces around the room. they all gave the same kind of vibe, like it was meant to be there for show. nothing to make it feel like it was part of a home. just to fill what would have been an empty space.

"is everything in this house so...disconnected?" nova asked as she studied a kaws painting that hung above the fireplace.

"i would say it's all a matter of perspective, miss." francesca ushered for nova to follow her into the next room.

the young woman was still in awe at her surroundings and what essentially is now her life. how large the man— her manor was. how she had staff to cater to her need, her space...she couldn't believe this was her reality.

the two walked into the kitchen; a large and industrial one with marble flooring and black cupboards with white granite countertops. there was a black man at the stove, preparing what looked like to be pasta.