Chapter 36

Carina's POV

Week 8th

It was two months since we started to foster Emma.

FOSTER.

I hated that word. It indicates that we would give her back at any point.

That was impossible.

She gave me a reason to wake up in the morning and to run home after every shift even if Maya was longer at work.

I loved how her laughter filled the whole apartment when she played with us. I loved how she ran to us every time she needed any of us.

She became so independent in the house. She came and go throughout the doors sometimes even running through the apartment freely. No matter how many times I heard her call us her mums it gave me butterflies each time.

She was our strong, brave, loving and caring little girl and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Maya learnt a lot about herself since she became a mother. She realised she was more than capable of taking care of her. She was now confident enough to set rules in her little life.

I knew at the beginning she let me do it because she was afraid of becoming her father and I respected that. Emma learnt that rules are for teaching and Maya learnt that teaching a child is important and necessary.

Her bond with Emma was unbreakable. It was different than what I had with her and I loved that. Maya was her hero, the one who got her out that day, while I was her safe space, the one who shared the same language with and whom could teach her about Italy and the culture.

I was sitting in my office catching up on paperwork when my phone started to ring.

"Dr. DeLuca-Bishop" I accepted the call without looking at the caller ID

"Hmm I can never hear that enough, baby" my wife moaned into the phone with caused million butterflies to appear in my lower abdomen

"Hi Bella" I said after I remembered myself how to speak or breath again "Is everything okay?" we have already FaceTimed during lunch as usual.

"Zoe called" my stomach dropped

"She wanted to arrange a date for the last inspection with us." Maya continued. I started to get anxious because that meant we could proceed with the adoption if she finds everything alright. If not...

I didn't even wanted to consider that possibility

"Carina... Carina... Are you there?" She said loudly into the phone which brought me back from my thoughts

"Sorry I'm here. I just zoomed out for a minute" I tried to sound like I was alright

"It's okay Baby. I'm scared too." she said softly "Can you ask Bailey if you could skip work on Friday?" she asked. It was Tuesday which meant we had 2 days to get ready. "I want to be over with it as soon as possible. I hate being a Foster parent and I know you do too" she was right. We needed to  it sooner than later because the fear of losing her was always above us.

"Consider it done. Call Zoe back and tell her that Friday works for us." I said knowing that getting Auntie Bailey's approval was nothing since Jo was more than capable of working alone for a day at this point.

"Okay. Please don't stress to much about it. I love you. See you at home" she said as she ended the call without waiting for my lucky charm.

Well I guess she'll be fine without it for once.

I quickly made my to Bailey's office.

"Come in" she said after I knocked on the office door. I pushed it open and walked inside "Ahh my favourite Mama" she said smiling