Chapter 79

Maya's POV

It was the big day.

Carina has reached 20 weeks so it was our time for the anatomy scan. I have looked into it a little more since I didn't want to bother Carina with questions. As I could understand on this appointment Jo will look for any congenital defects, examining every organ and look for signs of serious condition such as anencephaly or trisomy 13,18 and 21. Those were the basics I could remember because the list went on and on about conditions. Due to my research I knew we have a great chance to find out their sex as well.

We had a serious conversation about this the other night.

"Ahh it's such an American thing" Carina was pacing around the bedroom talking about gender reveal parties "I don't get it. Everyone says 'Oh as long as they're healthy I don't care' then 20 weeks later they're organising a huge party to let their friends know about the gender" she was having non of it.

"Basically yes" I agreed not wanting to make her more mad.

"They find out the sex, stupida. Even the name of the party is wrong." At this point she was getting red with anger and her hand gestures were insanely fast to keep up with "Sex is characteristics that are biologically defined, whereas gender is based on socially constructed features."

I took a mental note not to ask ridiculous questions from a pregnant Italian woman in the future. I just wanted to know her opinion about the gender - as I've learnt sex - reveal parties.

" Beautiful, come here" I said almost whispering "I don't want it either, I only wanted to know your opinion on the topic but I think we have covered that" I giggle softly.

"No." she held up her point finger "No. I'm not finished" she said seriously. "I have seen parents treating their newborn definitely because they want a boy instead a girl. I have seen parents neglecting their child because they preferred barbies over cars. It's wrong" a tear escaped from her eye.

"Car.. ." I whispered and got up from the bed. She needed my touch to come back from the spiral of thoughts. "I've got you" I held her body close to mine "Shh"

She calmed down a little and continued "Promise me that we will never limit them?" she was practically begging.

"Come, sit down" I walked her to our bed, and sat on the edge of it facing each other. "Car, we already let Emma express herself through art, clothes and toys. Her room is filled with cars and dolls. From the first day she knew she could be true to herself and dress and play  accordingly. If one day she would come to our room and asked to be called differently from then on, then we'll respect it. She will always be our child. Just like our peas. We'll know their sex and refer to them as our daughters or sons until they tell us otherwise." I wiped the tears off of her beautiful face."I asked about that topic because tomorrow we can find it out if we want to. I don't want to throw a party but I would like to know it, if that's okay with you." I finished softly.

"Sorry for... Well all this" she giggled softly as well " I got overwhelmed and the hormones aren't helping" she apologized "I just hate that society labels everything and shove everyone into boxes. I want our kids to be free of all this" she said with a small smile.

"You have nothing to be sorry about" I smiled and packed her lips " Car, we're not our parents. We won't kick them out no matter what. We won't abused them. We'll teach them about respect, love and consent at all times. They will become strong, independent and healthy humans." I knew her outburst was triggered by her past with his dad.

I realised what I have just said and  my tears begin to fall.

Was it possible that I've finally broke all the patterns that were pounded into me as child?