Chapter 90

S t e l l a

          As I climb into my car and turn the radio to the lowest volume, I can't help but feel nervous. Not only because Harry left so quickly, but because I know Marcel will be there at the festival. I plan on getting some information out of him about the whole situation going on. I feel clueless and I know asking my parents will not take me far. I shake my head as I grip the wheel. When will the secrets end? I know I can answer that question myself. It won't.

        The drive is a little long but I don't mind; it gives me time to let my anxiety and frustrations dissolve. Siege texts me a couple of times to remind me to bring deoderant and dental floss and how she is close by. I still thank my stubborn locker for her. I need to hang out with her more, maybe then I will not be so hung on Harry leaving me to be where he needs to be. Although I disagree with his overbearing need to be secretive, I can't help but try to trust him, just this one time. Something about the way his eyes went dark went he told me he was going to pay someone a visit though, still sends a chill through my spine.

        When I approach the entrance gates to the festival, my jaw drops. It is crawling with people everywhere. Carved pumpkins pave a pathway to the actual festival grounds and autumn leaves litter the parking space on the yellow and green patched grass. Men in yellow vests and glow sticks control the incoming traffic and I can't help but feel excited. I need to forget about Harry for a while. I deserve this time with my friends..my friend. I wonder if Liam will be here too. Who am I kidding. 

        I park in the grass and text Siege to meet me at the entrance. The walk isn't far at all and I soon peep her in the small crowd gathered by the concession stands with a huge bubble of blue cotton candy in her hand. She is wearing a large kimono type dress, it has swirls, dots, and flowers and is so beautiful. Brown leather gladiator sandals hug her legs and her fingers are covered in rings. Her brown eyes seem to light up when she sees me. 

        "Stella!" She shrieks, "You look hot!" She laughs with a bright smile. I look down at my assemble. After Harry demanded that I took off my shorts, I ended up wearing this flowy, loose bottom with intricate patterns, along with this off-the-shoulder cream colored crop top. I pull her into a hug and thank her. 

        "Last year they didn't have a Ferris wheel," I point out and she nods. 

        "The funds were higher this year I suppose." We begin walking, the festival ground is so large and filled with people dressed in fall inspired attire. Women and children stand in lines for face paintings and I spot more than a handful of students from school here. The whole football team is practically here, they always are. I sigh. A huge part of me wishes Harry was here. 

        "How have you been?" Siege asks as we stand in line for a turkey leg.

        I ponder on her question before answering, "That's a good question. I just don't really know how to answer it." 

        "I understand," She nods and tucks loose hair behind her ear. 

        "How are you? I mean, with the whole um.." I scramble for the words but she smiles knowingly.

        "I'm over Liam. I've moved on. I meant to tell you but you haven't been in school for the longest time," She answers before I can finish, and I flush. Who has she moved on to?

        "That's great. I'm happy for you and whoever the lucky guy is." I tell her and mean it. I take my order and so does she. We wait nearby for our turkey leg and Siege is quiet for a moment. 

        "Everyone has been talking you know," My body tenses. "How is he coping?" The sun looks beautiful at it's peak in the sky, I almost forget to answer her but I snap back into reality.