Chapter 5

Jenna

"We're here," My brother says quietly beside me. "Listen, if you want to go home at any point, just let me know and we can leave."

"I think I'll be okay," I say, "This'll be good for me."

I unbuckle my seatbelt with minimal difficulty, and follow Nash's footsteps to Cameron's front porch. My heart hammers in my chest as he pushes the doorbell. A minute passes. I hear the click of a wooden door being unlocked.

"Hey guys, come on in," A voice says, beckoning us into their home. I catalog the voice as Cameron's.

"So, you guys down for a movie?" He asks.

"Sure," Nash and I say at the same time. He laughs and takes us downstairs. Nash holds my hand to lead me. It's embarrassing, but better than walking around aimlessly in an environment I don't know.

"Insidious or Forest Gump?" Cameron asks. He and I vote for Forest Gump, and Nash votes for Insidious.

"Tom Hanks it is," He confirms while putting in the disk. The three of us get comfy on a couch made for two people, and start to watch the movie. Well, they watch while I just kind of listen.

I'm practically on Nash's knees with my legs on Cameron. It's an awkward position, but they assure me they're fine with myself draped over the two of them.

About halfway through the movie, Cameron pulls out a package of skittles that he didn't know he had. We spend the rest of the movie trying to guess what flavour we're eating without checking. I end up doing the best, and after a while, we're out of candy.

"You guys want to walk down to the beach?" Nash asks.

"Can we buy more skittles?" I ask.

"Sure."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Cameron asks.

We all run, and I mean literally run, to the nearest convenience store to pick up some more skittles. They end up having a huge sale on the candy, so we leave with a lot more than we came for.

The walk to the beach is fun, I never knew two teenage guys could be so random.

A conversation about bagels? Check.

An argument about sea turtles? Check.

When we arrive at the beach, we set up shop somewhere close to the shore and pull out our buys from earlier. I bought a package of Smarties, Nash got some gummy bears, and Cameron got Nerds.

Sitting on the sand, we talk and joke around until my brother gets the bright idea to jump in the water, fully clothed. After much persuasion, all three of us end up in the cool ocean water, spraying each other with splashes of seawater. We end up soaked, but we dry off on the walk home.

"Well, that was eventful," Cameron says. We've fallen into quietness, our flip flops snapping against the sidewalk are the only noises to be heard until his voice breaks the silence.

"It was."

"Next weekend?" Cameron asks.

"Sounds like a plan." We agree.