Prologue

"Hey." "Ed? What are you doing here?"

Before I continue, I should probably tell you something about Ed and I. We dated for 2 years and it got pretty serious. I actually thought we were going to spend the rest of our lives together. But, I broke up with him. I didn't want to but it got to the point where I barely saw him. He worked for most of the day and when he finally came home, all he wanted to do was go to bed. He acted like I was invisible and I couldn't stand it anymore. So, I ended it. It broke both our hearts but I saw no other option. There was one thing that was never an issue, sex. The feeling of Ed inside me, touching me, fingering me, eating me out, was like nothing I've ever felt before. We couldn't bring ourselves to stop. So, even though our relationship ended, we started a purely sexual one. I don't know if he dated anyone but I had a few relationships. But, I just couldn't get over Ed. I hated to admit this to myself but I still loved him. No one treated me the way he did. Even though our relationship is purely sexual now, he still treats me amazingly and gives the most amazing aftercare. There was a part of me who wanted him to still feel something for me too but I did break his heart.

And so, 3 months later, we saw each other again.

"How are you?" "I'm doing ok I guess. But, I know you're here to discuss something other than small talk." He smiled. "I forgot how well you know me. As it turns out I have a job for you, if you want it of course." "You don't know where I work do you?" I asked him while raising my eyebrow. "No, should I?" I sighed. "Ed, I work at the best hospital in the country. What makes you think I want to leave?" "Because this job involves working on a brand new ship, the U.S.S. Orville." I was speechless because my mouth was on the floor. I thought the Orville wasn't ready to fly yet! I have always wanted to explore space and see what's out there. "There has to be a catch Mercer. Or you wouldn't have come all this way." "What, it's not enough that I think you are the best doctor in the country and you would make a fine addition to the crew?" I smiled and looked at the ground. This guy was still smooth, "I forgot how good you were at sweet talking me Ed." "Well, maybe there is a slight catch. I'm the captain of the ship. So, what do you say?" He asked me as he held his hand out for me to accept his offer.