2

Fixing my hair in the mirror I look back at Gracie as she plays with her dolls.

"Bye.." Campbell says whispering in my ear before giving my cheek a kiss.

I tell him bye back as the bell rings signaling the end of the day.

"Ewww!" Gracie whines covering her hands over her eyes. I look back resting my cheek on the chair.

"Just a friend Grace..." I say looking back at her. "Did you have fun at daycare?" She goes on telling me about her day the best ability that she can occasionally laughing when she throws her hands around.

I mean she learned from me.

I look away when I spot Mike and Jamie out the corner of my eye. Walking out the building and through the parking Mike stops and turns and begins talking to someone that had appeared around the parked truck. He turns but I can't see who it is as Jamie opens the back door and gets in.

"Hey" Jamie says. I nod my head letting him know I heard him.

When Mike turns around to head to the car I'm able to see who he was talking to and it makes my blood boil.

"Jase" I call out slamming the car door behind me. A surprised looking Jase shoves his phone into his back pocket as I approach.

"What are you doing talking to my brother?"

"And I thought you knew better than making with friends with Bossier." He states

"Who said we were friends?" I retort

His eyes raise in realization.

"Is there a reason you came up to talk to me" He scoffs crossing his arms over his chest.

Laughter from behind us can be heard and we both look to see the rest of group making there way to their cars. When they catch us looking.

Looks of confusion runs across their faces. I couldn't blame them. How is the girl that spent months ignoring yours calls stood talking to Jase of all people..

"Stay away from my brother." I tell him as the rest of the group crowds around us.

"Brooklyn"  Reese says. I barley acknowledge him giving him a quick side eye before looking back at Jase.

"I mean it Brenner.." A look of hurt flashes across his face but I don't ponder on it turning around and heading back to the car.

"Where's Cora?" I ask buckling my seatbelt.

"Not sure she said she'd be back by dinner" Jamie says looking out the window. I look in the rear view seeing the fading bruises on his collarbone.

They sight makes me sick to my stomach.

"Right..." I mutter heading home.

~

"What do you want for dinner." I ask Gracie setting her down from my hip.

"Chicken nuggets!" She shouts running down the hall.

"Your gonna turn into one since that's all you eat"  Jamie's laughs following after his sister.

I smile.

"I.." I turn seeing Mike leaning against the doorway. "I...um..heard y'all's conversation earlier" He says looking anywhere but me.

"Yea..."

"I'm sorry" He walks up behind me giving me a hug. "Don't apologize for her." I swat him.

"Shes wrong you know...your not like her." He kissing my forehead.