Chapter One ~ Life Before Death

Hu Tao's P.O.V.

My fire-infused polearm slashed onto the Mitachurl's sturdy, wooden shield, causing it to erupt in flame. To the right, my partner, Yanfei, shot blazing fireballs towards our enemies. Liyue Harbor, the city that Yanfei and I resided in, was still in my view. We were only a minute's walk away from the city gates.

Why are hilichurls so close to the city?

It was definitely not the best time to theorize on that subject, as a hilichurl had shot a speeding, flaming arrow straight towards my head. Yanfei grabbed me by the shoulders, and I managed to avoid being skewered.

"Thanks!" I told her. She nodded, smiling.

I sprinted towards the hilichurl, charging my weapon at it. We continued demolishing the hilichurl camp until all that remained was a humongous patch of dead, burning grass.

"Can...we go home... now?" I panted. My whole body ached, and my face was cold with sweat. I felt as though my legs were about to give out.

Yanfei giggled. She looked so cute whenever she did.

"Aw, already?" she asked, smiling. Yanfei had more stamina than I did- she was part adeptus, after all.

"I can't feel my legs, Yan-Yan," I replied. "Somebody needs to order my coffin, hehe," I joked.

"We'll, as I've said before..." Yanfei started.

She put one hand on her hip and smirked- her signature pose.

"Training is just as necessary as the law," she recited, her blue eyes shining with passion as she viewed the looming city in the distance.

I sighed. "And strength is just as admirable," I repeated.

Yanfei always said the same thing after our training. I never got tired of how her voice sounded- so confident and friendly. In all honesty, I loathe having to fight. Who needs fighting experience to manage a funeral parlor? But if it allowed me to be near Yanfei, then I saw it as a valuable use of my time.

A Few Minutes Later
We started the brief journey back to Liyue, the sun beginning to set over the distant mountainside. A small cluster of stars were cascaded on the dark orange sky. The buildings in Liyue had beautiful architecture, nothing like the other nations.

Starving from a long day of work and training, we sought out the Teyvat-famous Wanmin Restaurant, where our close friend Xiangling was the head chef. Yanfei and I chose to sit at the bar on the side of the restaurant. The bar was crafted from fine wood, and delicately carved at the edges.

"Hu Tao! Yanfei!" A familiar voice called out to us. Xiangling left the kitchen and came over to us, holding a bowl of pasta in one hand and a plate of a delicious-smelling meat dish in the other. Yanfei waved to her. Yanfei and Xiangling had been close friends since childhood.

"Xiangling didn't judge me for being half adeptus, or for my horns," Yanfei had told me. "Which is the reason I trust her with my life."

After we ate, we decided to walk around the city and check out the various shops. Yanfei was immersed in a book, likely about the law.

"Let's go here," I exclaimed, pointing out an antique jewelry stand. I grabbed Yanfei's hand and we rushed down the street.

We stood in front of the stand, which overwhelmed us with the heavy scent of expensive perfume and flowers. We viewed the displays, commenting on the various pieces. We decided to buy two matching silver bracelets, one engraved with rubies and one with sapphires.

We strolled along the city streets, our hands joined together. Time seemed to speed up, and so did my heartbeat. I subconsciously stared at Yanfei; the way she walked, how her soft pink hair flows in the wind, the strange yet mystifying horns that protrude from her head...

I turned my head away to prevent her from noticing the pink blush that was appearing on my cheeks.

I really do love Yanfei.

Yanfei's P.O.V.

Being born with the blood of an adeptus isn't always a favorable trait. Want to make friends with a mortal? Want to have a relationship with said mortal? You'll end up outliving them by five hundred years.

Five Years Ago
"Yanfei. I'm sorry, dear, but adepti and mortals are not meant for each other."

"But, Granny, I love her!"

"I know. But she is a mere human- you will remain alive far longer than her."

All throughout my friendship with Hu Tao, I took the words Madame Ping had said with heart. Deep down, I was sure I still had a longing for a romantic relationship with the director. However, the feelings couldn't possibly be mutual.

I almost told her. But my Granny's words kept echoing in my head.

Present Day
We walked silently along the lit streets of Liyue. The sun had fully set, and the only sources of light was from the glowing lanterns that hung on rooftops. They had a glow just as bright as Hu Tao's red eyes.

You're an adeptus, she's a mortal, I told myself. I sighed. I've gotten over my childish crush by now, but Hu Tao's company still fills my heart with joy. Walking with her like this... it was the only time I could clear my mind. There was no urgency to follow the rules, no boring cases to settle.

Just the two of us.

What am I thinking?! We're only friends. An adeptus and a human. I must follow the rules.

I turned my head away from my friend.

"Yanfei?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you alright? You look sad," Hu Tao asked me softly.

"Yeah, I'm just... fine!" I lied. "Liyue's top legal expert has no time to be emotional."

Hu Tao giggled. "I'm going to head home now. Same place, same time tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

Hu Tao hugged me before she left. I strolled home, humming as I walked. There were no other people outside. Based off how long it had been since nightfall, it was probably 11 PM. Once I got home, I kicked my shoes off and immediately went to bed. I hadn't realized how exhausted I was. I prepared myself for the next day.

To be continued.