Chapter 1: Smile For Me.

After observing Rin for several days, watching her chatter with her girlfriends and practice Medical Ninjutsu and her eyes widen whenever he walked onto the scene, Obito knew the special smile she reserved for the one she loved...was for someone else.

That someone else was Kakashi.

Obito observed Rin enough to know sparkles gleamed in her eye when she watched Kakashi sparring against the training dummies or touched a non-intimate part of his body while patching him up from a mission after he pummeled enemy Ninja from reaching Rin.

True, Rin waited for him at his grandmother's house to walk him to school every morning. She also packed him a lunch (she took over for his grandmother to ease the burden on her) with his favorite foods with savory flavors that reminded Obito of home, whatever that was. Rin also would talk over people who would try to spread rumors about Obito being a dunce or whatever unkind words children had to say about people who were black sheep.

Perhaps it was unfair to say that Rin didn't hold special feelings for Obito as well.

When she looked at Obito with a shine in her eye, her eyes would widen and a blush colored her cheeks as she clasped her hands in front of her as though in prayer when she would lean forward and whisper conspiratorially in his ear secrets that only he knew.
Whenever people talked about Obito, Rin would gently chide them and tell them that she believed Obito would become Hokage one day. She would stare down people who dared laugh at that notion before they would stammer and stutter and grudgingly admit that Obito worked hard.

She believed full-heartedly in him and that he would accomplish his dreams of becoming Hokage.

Yet...there was that extra spark that illuminated her face with a warm glow that brought out the color in her soft skin and a glitter in her violet eyes that struck a deep amethyst in the right lighting when she talked about Kakashi. A smile that uplifted her cheeks and pinched the corner of her eyes.

Obito wanted so much for that smile to be for him and only for him.

But talking about his feelings out in the open like that—his rival might catch wind of it and make fun of him for it, perhaps.

Kakashi caught him trying to kiss the picture of Rin, much to his utter and complete mortification.

Kami, he wanted to know what kissing Rin felt like.

Of course, the picture is no substitute for the real thing, but Obito would never kiss a girl without her permission. His grandmother would sternly lecture him about treating girls right, and kissing them without permission was a major taboo.

But kissing a picture should be fine, right? Well...Kakashi acted as though Obito were caught jacking off instead of doing an admittedly, hopelessly, pathetically and desperate move.He wanted so much to kiss Rin. To have her smile at him like she smiled at Kakashi.

All his innocent boyhood, he wanted to hold hands with Rin. Then he wanted to work up the courage to propose to her and maybe, give her a kiss. He still hadn't worked up the nerve to.Maybe one day he would. But first, he needed to confess! He needed to let her know that he lo—Then Obito debated with himself in his mind. It wasn't like him to constantly think like this, Obito usually just jumped straight into the action, but when it came to affairs of the heart, as Kakashi put it, it was a delicate matter that you couldn't just brute force your way through. Unlike Obito, Kakashi was a genius, and sometimes Obito wondered how he would overcome his mental fortitude and resilience if he liked the more straightforward approach to things rather than the subtleties and mind games that Kakashi would often play.

But maybe Rin liked men who would put their brains to use, so Obito vowed to himself that he would work hard in his studies for her sake (and to show up his rival Kakashi, that would show him for trying to steal his girl!)