Part 3: Friends?

*** DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN YUGIOH. THIS IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. All the credit to the artwork artists! 

Here's another part! I hope yall enjoy the story so far! Please let me know!***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yugi quickly moved around the shop as he went through the closing routine. Why did I invite him upstairs? Kaiba of all people...what was I thinking? He's literally a robot: emotionless. We're not even that close. I don't even know if we could be considered friends even though we've been through a lot together...surprisingly. The tricolor-haired teen bit his lip contemplating whether or not he made a good decision.

Kaiba leaned against the front counter as he waited patiently for Yugi to do what he needed to close up the game shop. A slight smirk on his face appeared when he caught a glimpse of Yugi's expression. Why does he look so panicked? After all the times he's yelled at and stood up to me...is he really still scared of me? It's not like I bite.

Yugi slid the lock across the top of the door with a click. "There...it's all locked up." He turned towards Kaiba. "Um, follow me upstairs." He stated before shuffling past him to the backroom. As expected, Kaiba followed without saying a word as Yugi lead him to a door in the back and up a flight of stairs. He and his grandpa lived above the game shop in a nice cozy little apartment. "Come on in and make yourself at home. Do you want anything to drink or a snack?"

Kaiba looked around the quaint apartment. He had never been inside since he had declined several offers to stay for lunch or dinner by Yugi's grandfather. "I'm fine with whatever."

Yugi gave a small nod before getting some cut fruit in the fridge and two glasses of water. "How about we talk in my room? Even though grandpa is out with his friends I'd feel more comfortable in a more private area...if that makes sense?" He placed the glasses and fruit on a small tray and gestured for Kaiba to follow him down the small hallway.

Kaiba shrugged nonchalantly. "Fine with me. You don't have to explain yourself." He followed Yugi to his room.

Yugi set the snack tray on the small study table he had. He sat cross-legged on one side and gestured for Kaiba to sit across from him. Just being around him makes me uncomfortable. It always has.

Kaiba sat down on the floor across the table. Once again he trapped Yugi with an intense gaze. "I don't like wasting my time. So, let's just cut to the chase, Yugi. What's going on in that head of yours?"

Yugi gripped his glass of whatever anxiously. He stared down at the table unwilling to make eye contact with Kaiba. This is so weird to have Kaiba in my room. It's even stranger that I kind of feel safe? Maybe this is a good idea...

Kaiba carefully watched Yugi contemplate what to say. He's reluctant to talk to me. Maybe this was a bad idea...

Yugi took a drink from his glass before slowly glancing over at Kaiba. "Hey, can I ask you something?" He waited for Kaiba who responded with a nod. "Do you ever feel lonely? I mean, you don't get along with anyone in class and you don't really have friends...plus you're constantly working. How do you deal with that?" Wait, I can't just assume he has no friends! Maybe he has some we've never seen! Yugi, what's wrong with you?

Kaiba was taken aback by the question just for a brief moment. Well, that was quite direct, wasn't it? Might as well be honest. It won't hurt anything. Yugi isn't the type to take personal information and use it against a person. "First, I am not always working. I do take time for myself. Second, yes and no. I do have Mokuba who keeps me company but it's not always enough. He's much younger than I am and I have to take care of him; hence why I work so hard. I have to be on top so no one looks down on us again. You already know we were adopted and I took over the company our foster dad owned...now it's Kaiba Corp." He paused for a moment to see that Yugi was all ears and intently listening to him. "It's not necessarily that I don't have friends. I just don't have the luxury to make friendships without worrying about if the other person is just trying to get company secrets, leech money, or even take my company out from under me. I have to keep people at a distance to protect what I have and to protect Mokuba."