5. - paintings and sculptures

The Fallen Angel
The L'Ange Dechu, or Fallen Angel, may be one of the hottest artworks ever made. A winged nude shields his face behind flexed arms. His mane of hair snaps in the wind, and brows curl over red-rimmed eyes and a tear of anger. His body, of course, is perfect. His posture appears reposed, but each muscle is flexed with potential energy. Cast from heaven-this is the last moment before he is cast out of paradise.

 Cast from heaven-this is the last moment before he is cast out of paradise

Fallen Angel - Alexandre Cabanel (1847)

The Angel of Evil and The Genius of Evil
Picture this: The scene is the 1840's in Liege Belgium. Here the Cathedral of Saint Paul lavishes its parishioners with a gorgeous sinuous double staircase adorned with only the most luscious Gothic flair. Still as decadent as the staircases were there seemed to be something missing, perhaps something could be placed at their base to sew the whole thing together. This is when the church decided that a statue was in order, so they hired Joseph Geefs an accomplished marble sculptor. His commission was to create a statue of Lucifer the fallen angel, which he did in his masterpiece L'Ange du Mal [The Angel of Evil.] According to some, Lucifer was the most beautiful of all the angels. I say beautiful, and not handsome because in another odd twist, angels weren't historically always sexed. In fact, there's a long tradition of androgynous angels that are neither male nor female. Whether or not this had anything to do with the final work of art is hard to determine, but what we do know is that Geefs did a bang up job.

L'Ange du Mal was breathtakingly beautiful. Here a very human looking Lucifer sat seductively on a rock, barely clad, bare chested, a tumble of cloth coyly covering only the most intimate of parts, his feminine hair curling softly over his shoulders, his face sullen and looking down, his feet crossed in a quiet feminine pose, all framed with a giant pair of bat wings. Perfection. It was 1842 when this heart stopping wonder was installed in the St Paul Cathedral. And that's when things get... comical.

Our gentle fallen angel brought immediate controversy to the parish. He was too beautiful to represent the devil and worse still he was distracting, specifically to all those chaste unmarried girls. Or at least that's what they said publicly. Privately, it's probably a wise bet to assume Lucifer was probably also super distracting to men of a different persuasion, in addition to all those penitent young girls. Hell, with those rock-hard abs, who isn't he distracting to?! The church decided they couldn't keep going on preaching the gospel with such a hot Satan pouting in the corner. He was giving those young girls ideas, ideas their future husbands would never live up to. He had to go away. And so the church took him down. But this left a big sad empty space where he once nobly sat.

So, the church commissioned another statue but in a strange and perhaps terribly questionable decision they chose Geef's brother Guillaume to remake the masterpiece... You know similar but less distracting. That's when Guillaume stepped up to the plate and created his own masterpiece Le Genie du Maal [The Genius of Evil.] Now I don't know what Geefs was thinking or where his standing was in the church but I think it's fair to say he wasn't content with the decision to sack his brother's hard work. Maybe that's why he appears to have used the same delectably gorgeous model for his sculpture. Far from making it less distracting, Geefs took his brother's inspiration and ran with it, making his version even hotter.