16: Waiting

It's been a couple hours now, and Balloon still hasn't woken up. I can only hope this won't take as much of a toll on his mental health as it has mine. Despite what you've seen on the show, I don't actually hate him. I barely hate anyone. I just acted like it so they wouldn't attack me. So I wouldn't appear weak, or small. After all, trophies are meant for winners. If I didn't act like one, I felt like I would get crushed. Turns out that only made them hate me more than I thought they would've. I should've never acted like that. I only wanted to get far in the game. I never wanted to hurt anyone. But I let that tough guy persona take me over. I let that act become me. When I realized what I had become, it was too late.

I was eliminated, and I would never have the chance to make up with them. I would never be on the show again. I would only be the jock that everyone hates. Now I'm the dead jock that everyone hates. At least, dead to them. But soon enough, there's going to be less of them to hate me. Because of me. Because Taco said so.

"Hey. Why do we have to do all this? Couldn't you just threaten MePhone for the cash?"

Taco looked up from her finished carving, and stared directly at me.

"Everyone else would stop me before I could get anywhere near him. Besides, this is much more fun. I know it is for you."

She smiled at me while saying that last part, which really sent chills down my metal spine. I don't enjoy this! This isn't fun!

"This...this isn't fun! I've killed, Taco! That's the one thing I don't enjoy!"

"Well, then why do you do it? Are you scared of me or something?"

"I...I'm not..."

"You are, Assistant. You are scared."

"I'm...my name isn't assistant."

"Then what is it, Assistant?"

"I...I'm..."

"Come on, spit it out Assistant."

"I'm...I'm..."

"You're what?"

Why am I drawing a blank here? I...I know my own name! Everyone knows their name! I'm...I'm...

"I'm your assistant."

It felt like those words were placed into my mouth, and that something else made me say them.

"Yes, you are. Now, Assistant, our friend is waking up."

Balloon's eyes slowly fluttered open, blinded by the gap of the trees he was laying in. He immediately stood up and started panicking.

"Hey, hey. No need to panic. You aren't in any danger. At least, not right now."

"I...But...You...he..."

"Well? Are you going to say something or not?"

"B-but...he...Pickle said..."

Taco stepped back at the mention of his name. Those 2 must have some really bad history.

"Calm down Balloon. You have no need to fear me. At least, as long as you agree."

Why is she doing this? Taco already has me. Why does she need Balloon too? Actually, something about this seems awful familiar. Must be these masks getting to me.

"Well? You joining or not? If you refuse, I don't think you'll be leaving this forest anytime soon."

Balloon just stood there in shock as he looked at me. I tried to look away, but that's kinda hard to do without eyes. His sorrowful gaze pierced me like a spear. I felt horrible. Out of all people she could've asked, it was Balloon. At least I didn't have to kill him.