𝟎𝟒. 𝐚 𝐬𝐧𝐚𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧

CHIP WAS TRYING HIS BEST TO REMAIN CALM. He really was. However, the poor mechanic on duty would certainly deserve an apology later once Chip was finished screaming his lungs out. He gasped as he tried to breathe between words; however, the wind was knocked out of his chest as Mick punched him in the gut. He doubled over and fell onto his knees, providing the other boy the opportunity to drag him from the room. Viola offered the mechanic an apologetic look before following the boys from the room.

"Was that really necessary?" Viola asked, referring to Mick's violent tactic.

"It shut him up, didn't it?" Mick replied as he gestured back toward Chip who was still gasping for air.

"What—" Chip choked and cleared his throat, now placing his hands above his head. "What are the two of you still doing here anyway? I said I could handle this myself."

"That didn't really look like handling it," Viola countered softly, her eyes drifting toward the ground.

Mick nodded his head in agreement and crossed his arms. "The mechanic is just doing her job. It's not her fault that the part won't be in until next week."

"I know, I know," Chip dismissed the statement defensively. "That doesn't mean I have to be happy about it though."

The bell overhead the door to their left rung as another customer stepped inside the waiting room. He was far different from any of the other customers who had stepped foot inside the establishment. His suit was freshly pressed, and each strand of hair was neat styled away from his eyes. The man adjusted his tie and his cold eyes drifted over toward the small group. The sneer on his face twisted into a smile that comforted none of them.

"Mayor Wraith." The mechanic stepped into the waiting room—having heard the bell—and wiped the grease from her hands onto what was probably once a white towel. "What can I do for you?"

The mayor shook his head and seemed to dismiss the mechanic. "I just heard that we had guests in town, Miss Rodriguez, and thought I'd stop by to welcome them."

The mechanic nodded her head before walking back out into the garage to continue her work. The mayor took a step closer before taking the time to introduce himself. "Carlisle Wraith, mayor of Moonhaven, what brings you in to visit?"

"Car troubles," Chip bitterly answered under his breath. "Had to push the poor thing a mile uphill."

"He is way too attached to that car," Mick whispered almost inaudibly. Viola nodded her head in agreement while Chip slowly narrowed his eyes at them as he too heard what had been said.

"Just the three of you then?" the mayor asked, raising an eyebrow.

Chip shook his head. "Nah, there's eight of us total. The others are just out exploring the town I guess. They didn't see much point in just waiting around when we could be here awhile."

"Any idea how long you'll be staying?"

The level of concern that the mayor was showing may have been unnerving to some, but Chip didn't mind the attention. He shrugged and continued what he presumed to be a casual conversation. "Hopefully no longer than the week. Apparently the part we need is out of stock and won't arrive in town until then."

"I see... perhaps I'll look into the matter and see if there's a way to speed up that timeline," the mayor suggested.

"That'd be great!" Chip exclaimed, but at a glance from the others remembered his manners. "But we wouldn't want to inconvenience you—"

"Nonsense." The mayor shook his head and dismissed the idea. "We here in Moonhaven pride ourselves on serving the community. The sooner you can be on your way, the better."