Chapter Seven

His question took me off guard.

I took in his confident, yet humble stance. The way he looked at me told me he wasn't intimidated or wary of me, and I couldn't figure out why.

Surely, if he was as close to the captain as he seemed to be, I would have expected the rumors to have tainted his view of me, making him want nothing to do with me. I didn't sense any of this from him.

From his smile, which revealed the indent of dimples of his soft cheeks, he seemed as if he genuinely wanted to take a walk with me, to know me.

Prince Cowen was, for all intents and purposes, my betrothed. Though, I have no intention of staying in this castle, or time period, long enough for the wedding to happen, I know forming a friendship with him will be important.

Judging how two of the most influential and powerful people in the castle have a deep distaste for me, King Idris and Captain Dane, having the friendship of Prince Cowen could aid in keeping me safe and respected. Ethan was a kind friend, too, but he didn't have the sway the prince did.

For those reasons, I knew my answer needed to be yes, but something else urged my desire to be with him.

Standing before me, in the flesh, was the last prince of Caycean.

From the few details we did have on Caycean and their last year during the war, Prince Cowen had fought alongside his men, a warrior. He was struck down in one of the final battles with Morah, in the valley of Salem, defending the nearby city.

Of course, the history books written by the Moran's only had terrible things to say about him, finding his death in battle and willingness to fight in the trenches with his men foolish; I found it admirable. Any prince who chose to fight for and with his people, to take his last breath defending their freedom, was honorable.

I replaced my shocked expression with a small smile. "I would enjoy that." The prince's smile widened, and he extended an arm out to escort me.

Tentatively, I place my left arm in the crook of his elbow, the fabric from his white tunic brushing against my bare shoulder.

Prince Cowen looks over his shoulder, addressing both of our numerous guards. "We'll be walking in the garden, so there's no need for you all." He looked towards Ethan, and a female guard standing beside him, her hair pulled back in a slick braid. "Our two personal guards will suffice." I watch as our guards, my three and his four, set off down the opposite hallway.

I was shocked to find that his personal guard, the one who was over the others, was a female.

"Does it surprise you?" His question caught me off guard, breaking my stare, and I looked up at him.

"Does what surprise me?"

A smirk formed on his face as he lead opposite the way I had come, following the direction of the guards. "That one of my personal guards is a female. Don't bother denying it, the surprise was written all over your face." I suppressed a groan.

In all my life, I had never been good at lying, or hiding any emotions. As my mother said, I wore everything, my feelings, thoughts, emotions, on my face. In the past day, I'd tried to wear the mask of the princess, to be who I thought she was, and I'd already let in falter three times.

Once last night, with Ethan, then twice this morning with the prince. Somehow, even though I know it isn't smart to be myself around them, there's something about these men that brings out who I am.

I couldn't lie now, because he was right, I was surprised. "I have to admit, I am surprised to see a female in that position. It's not something I am used to." For all the studying I had done on Valkier, never once had female guards been mentioned. There were the rare exceptions, like Cossetta, who had trained, but no woman was allowed in battle.