Chapter 20

After all the girls left and Leila had gone to bed Antonio and I were sitting across from each other in the kitchen.

"Ari, please listen, I would never do that. I have football and if I did I would be kicked off the team," he explains.

"I know, I got scared and blew up on you. I can't lose you though, especially to the same thing that took mama and papa."

"I can't lose you either, but Ari, I'm eighteen, I'm going to do things you don't support sometimes and I need you to stay by my side," he says.

"I'm going to try," I promise. "You are still a kid, and you are going to make mistakes, no? So I will try and support you more, I promise."

"Thank you Ari. I promise I won't let you lose me," he hugs me and I hug him back.

"Please be smart."

"I don't know if that's possible for me," he jokes.

"It better be."

0 days 1 minute 23 seconds

"Liaaaaa," Leila calls out.

"It better not be dark out," I warn her before I open my eyes.

"It's not, it's almost eleven actually." I sit up and see her sitting at my desk. "Nice of you to join the living."

"Funny. You're leaving today?" I ask her. Leila was going north to see some of her family leaving Toni and I at her house.

"Yep, Toni also needs to speak with you, I don't know what about."

"Okay, what time are you leaving?"

"Three, you have plenty of time to spend with me beforehand."

"Good."

I made lunch before Leila had to leave and left the dishes for after she had left. Toni was quick to clean them after she was gone and I sat at the counter.

"Why are you doing the dishes?"

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"You hate doing the dishes Toni. What do you want?"

"Okay, so a different group of friends and I planned a trip for tomorrow and the rest of the week. Can I go?"

"He's still a kid Ellie, he is going to make mistakes and that is just part of life."

"Sure. Be careful and smart Toni. I swear if I get another call from the police while you are gone it will not end well for you," I warn him.

"You will not! I promise. Are you going to do something? The trip is over Christmas."

"I can just go bother Alexia, it's not like we do big celebrations anyway," I shrug.

"Or, this is a better idea, you fly to Australia to surprise Hayley for Christmas."

"She's out of the hospital Toni, probably with her family and friends there."

"Fine, just think about it, Ari. I know you miss her!"

"Thank you for cleaning up Toni." I leave the kitchen and grab a book to sit on the porch and read.

An hour or so later my phone started ringing so I answered the call without a glance to the caller id.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Ellie!"

"Hayley! Sorry I did not check who was calling. How are you doing?"

"I'm good! It's really nice being back in Australia with everyone, have you ever been to Brisbane?"

"Maybe for a game," I respond.