Chapter 29

We start eating and I try to keep my mind off of Toni's secret girlfriend.

"You look like you're trying to kill someone," Ellie says.

"Not kill," I say.

"Is this about your brother?" Hayley asks. I look over at her and can't help but feel a little calmer.

"He makes me old."

"I love that kid!" Caitlin says.

"Something else to talk about. When is the season?" I ask the Portland players.

"Preseason started last week or so then the season starts in May," Ellie says.

"You start so late!" I say.

"It only seems that way because you are practically always playing in Europe," Lindsey says.

"Maybe."

After dinner everyone except Hayley leaves Caitlin's flat.

"What did Toni do this time?" Hayley asks.

"This time? What's he done before?" Caitlin asks.

"He was caught with drugs in his car. This time he has a secret girlfriend in Madrid."

"Wow."

"That is unexpected," Hayley says.

"I know! Why not tell me?" I ask them.

"Teenage boys hide things, it's what they do," Caitlin answers.

"It is mad," I grumble.

"What do you want to do?" Hayley asks me.

"Like her post?"

"No," They both answer at once.

"Think of how that went with us," Caitlin reminds me.

"Fine. Then I will talk to him when I return."

"Alright, well in the meantime we should relax and not focus on it," Hayley suggests.

"Good thought."

"Not in my house," Caitlin warns.

"Caitlin!" Hayley shouts.

"Oh my gosh, Caitlin why?" I ask her.

"Sorry, I thought that was what we were talking about!"

"No, just relaxing in general, Cait," Hayley says.

"Whatever, I'm going to bed, you two have fun." She leaves to go to her room and I shift closer to Hayley. She takes my hand and plays with my fingers while we sit in silence.

"I know you're always going to worry about Toni, no one is going to blame you for that. You need to be able to take time for yourself, Ellie. Without worrying about him."

"I will try, really try."

"I'm proud of you," She smiles at me. I smile back and kiss her.

"Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me, Ellie."

"I will thank you for this for the rest of my life," I tell her. I lay my head in her lap and grab her hand.

"What did I do for you?"

"I grow, with Caitlin, talking about Mari, all of it."

"It's also you, please take some credit for being incredibly strong," Hayley tells me. I smile again and lean up to be a few inches from her face.

"We are a good team."

"That we are." She closes the space between us and I put my hand in her hair and pull her closer. She puts her hands on the back of my neck and I sit up to sit on her lap.