34. Ashes

I woke up in Indy's arms as he softly snored behind me while he had his strong body pressed to mine. I glance at the clock, noticing it was five-thirty in the morning, not knowing why I was awake so early. I slowly slip out of bed, trying not to wake Indy and get him worried I'm not here with him. I sneak to the bathroom before slowly closing the door and doing my business. I walked out to see Indy still sleeping in the bed as he rolled to his back and searched my spot with his hand. He lifted his head and looked at my empty spot as his heart began to speed up in worry before turning to look at me. "I had to use the bathroom." I whisper as he tiredly nods his head. "Come back to bed, my soul." He tells me softly.

"I'm going to check on Shorty real quick." I tell him before going to our bedroom door and unlocking it. I open the door and slowly walk into the living room to see the small boy asleep as the blanket falls off him. I walk over and put the blanket on him fully and make sure he is comfortable. I smirk at his peaceful face before slowly returning to our room and closing the door. I lock it and then climb into bed with Indy as I rest my head on his shoulder. "How's the kid?" He mumbles.

"Fast asleep; put the blanket back over him because it fell off." I place my hand on his muscular chest as I get comfortable.

"Don't get attached, Harley." He mumbles.

"I'm not." I reply as I slowly fall back asleep as I lay on his strong shoulder.

***
After hours of walking this thick jungle we finally made it to a cave that was covered in vines. "Alright, honey, stay close to me and step where I step, don't touch anything." Indy tells me earnestly as he stares into my eyes. I nod my head in understanding, as I know we have to be serious and careful. "Shorty, you stay out here."

"Okie dokie, Dr. Jones." He smiled before sitting next to the tree and waiting for us to enter. Indy walked into the cave slowly as he looked at everything while I stepped where he did and kept an eye out for any traps. He put his arm out, telling me to stop as he looks at the sunlight shining through onto the ground. "What is it?" I asked him, wanting to know what danger we were facing. "Stay here." He tells me before crouching under the light making sure he didn't touch it. He took his whip out and placed it in the sun, then a bunch of vertical spears popped out of the wall with a dead rotting body on them. "Hello." I say as I am inches from the dead man. I looked at Indy to see he was smirking at me before motioning me to follow him as he walked further down the tunnel. I crawled where he was before going behind him and ensuring I stepped where he did. His heart was calm, pumping steadily as his emotion were excited with a hint of worry.

I noticed a small snake on the ledge by Indy's head as it slowly sat up, ready to strike, but I jumped and grabbed it before chucking it down the way we came. I turned back to Indy to see him looking at me with his brows scrunched up, not knowing what had just happened. "What the hell was that?"

"Nothing, dear." I lie to him as I pat his arm, then point down the tunnel for us to continue.

"I felt your heart race faster, and you panic, Harley. What happened?" He asks me deeply with seriousness in his voice.

"You don't want to know."

"Tell me."

"Fine, there was a snake by your head, and it was going to bite you, so I grabbed It by the neck and threw it," I admit, not wanting to scare him after I know how much he hates snakes. His eyes widened before looking at the ledge and then down the path, we came before looking at me. "Oh, I'm, thanks." He gulps before turning back around, getting a little more distance between him and the ledge. I smirked as I followed behind him down the dark tunnel as it slowly got darker. I grabbed the torch as Indy grabbed the lighter from his pocket and lit it. He took the torch as he led our way, ensuring it was safe to travel down. It slowly became lighter as we approached a vast stone room with light seeping through.