Chapter One: Erlkönig

My son, why do you hide your face in fear? –
Father, do you not see the Erl-King? 

The pianist caressed the keys delicately, he used no force, just swift movements like his fingers were lighter than air. He touched each of them as they were naked bodies, although others may see it was a simple concert, he was quite making love with the instrument. Soon, the beautiful sounds it made during this process left its place for the claps. 

The guy on the piano stood up, bowed to the audience and then walked away with steady steps to the back stage. You sat down where you were, the front seat. Most closest place to the stage, you could even see Edelstein's sweat and tears, those made no impact on your facial impression although you were impressed and filled with jealousy. 

You stared at the stage until the star stopped by. "Miss (y/n), hope you enjoyed." he said formally. 

"Yes," you held yourself back. "Very much, I believe this is what you expect from me." 

"Quality? If you won't call me an arrogant, yes. I do not wish for you to mimic it all, I believe your own style suits you more. Piano may be my lover but it is your nemesis. I respect that, genuinely."  

You nodded. "More than a lover as I witnessed. You simply lose yourself, give in to all your instincts, I don't think you can play as good as you did if it was on purpose. I wonder what's going inside your head. Only if you blessed me and the other's with a piece of mind." 

Edelstein smirked. "What an inappropriate accusation." he said. People were leaving the saloon and you both stayed and stared until you achieved absolute silence. 

You suddenly got up and walked on the stage. Edelstein sat on your place. You looked at the piano and lifted the case, slowly sat on the chair and pressed keys as much as you could that made Edelstein jump a little. "Sing, Edelstein." you said while staring at him badly. "If you can take the part, you must be one with the whole piece, shouldn't you?" 

He looked at you, "What are you talking about? My gift isn't for singing." 

"Wouldn't you grant me the joy of listening your sweet voice, for the sake of all years, for a dearest rival?" you smiled and started. 

Edelstein relucantly accompanied you with his voice while you were beating the notes. To match up his rhythm, you slowed your pace and stopped being so harsh. The piano isn't for beating him now but it played to support him. Like a running soft river, you switched between keys between notes. 

I love you, your beautiful form excites me;
And if you're not willing, then I will use force.❞

You finished at the climax. "I'm simply stopped being entertained, what a beautiful piece getting ruined by my anxiety and fear for failure." you sighed and shut the case. 

"May I offer going out for dinner?" he asked softly. "Perhaps then I can try to soothe you with some wine I ordered." then he added "It's burgundy, your favourite." and then wore a genuine smile. 

You smiled back and accepted his offer. Walked out of the stage and climbed down the stairs by his gentlemanly manner of helping with his hand, which had a glove on. 

Edelstein drove to his home, which was a bit further than the theater, more closer to the countryside. It had a nice view as you recall. 

He showed you the way to his kitchen and asked what you fancy.

 "I cannot handle something strong or proper. Whatever you have that can silence my stomach growling is fine." 

"You are really making a big deal out of it." he concerned. "Is it because of me?" he poured some wine into glass and placed in front of you. 

"No, no, no." you took a sip. "I don't need someone to come to senses of work ethic. Which is doing the best I can." you sighed. "It's just not as dreamy as yours, it doesn't come natural." 

"Your performance was great today, why you say that?" he was checking the fridge. "I think you also had something in your mind." he said. "Was it me singing, did my embarrassment motivated you?" 

You laughed, "Yes, yes!" you exclaimed and took few more sips. "Do you remember our highschool graduation concert?" Edelstein facepalmed. "No..." he mumbled. "Yes, yes you do! Oh, how the members of friends of music made you sing Bona Nox." you kept laughing. "Do you remember the lyrics Roderich?"

"No, it was a long time ago." he said and placed some cheese and chocolate on the table. "We can take the couches in living room if you like." You grabbed your glass and the plate and ran to the livingroom to take the best spot in his couch. 

"Oh, come on. Move (y/n)." you nodded as no but he sat down and leaned anyways. "We shouldn't be rivals or enemies in any kind you know." he shot his wine. "I believe there is more benefit in us colaborating." 

"Bet you say that to every female colleague of yours." 

"Yes, but I never wanted one of them to accept as much as now." 

"You are bloffing." 

"I am certainly not. I can swear on everything. Do you want me to swear on Haydn?" 

"Come on, you tortured the old man enough already, especially in middle school." 

"Just consider it, please." 

"Do you guarantee that it won't happen like the last time?" you asked him coldly.

He stopped and looked at you with remorse. "I swear, I won't let myself do the same mistakes and lose the one of the best pianists I know again." 

You stared at the carpet and thought a little. You may need help more than ever now, as the school is more likely to assign you the next new year's concert since for some reason Roderich refused. 

"Okay, I'll spend the night practing here, hope you have sound proof walls." and then you added "I cannot take care of myself for next few weeks, I require assistance and driver services as my house is in Weitra." you lifted your hand for a handshake. 

Roderich looked at you, asked if you are serious with his eyes. You didn't hesitate. He gave up and shook your hand. "Deal, it better be the best concert I will ever attend to."