Chapter 19

Bree was sitting in her favorite spot in her room. She was still in her shift and had been nibbling on bread and sipping water, freshwater. Fiona had figured out quickly Brielle hated ale. She watched the sunrise over Loch Etive, and it was so stunning. Today, of all days, she should be happy. It was her wedding day, well, not really. Bree reflected over the past few weeks on all that has happened since arriving at Dunstaffnage. She thought over the Chapel renovation of her traveling in time, her chance to see the Chapel when it was not a ruin, in the 17th century, her meeting Colin.

She set her mug and bread down, reached for her necklace that held the Iona stone Hamish gave her, and gripped it in both hands. She wished today was her real wedding, a real wedding to Colin with all her heart. Closing her eyes, she held the stone for a moment, praying. A moment passed, then another. The sun shifted across her closed eyes, and she opened them. Nothing had changed. She looked at the jewelry in her hand. She recalled yesterday in the study when the Fae Book changed. She was too tired to notice, but now she has had a moment to reflect. She remembered the quote well,

Let Love never leave you
bind it around your neck,
keep it in the core of your heart.

She ran the Fae story Colin told her through her mind repeatedly. "Never leave you, around your neck, the core of your heart." She thought out loud again. She repeated it, "Never leave you, around your neck, the core of your heart." She stared at the necklace in her palm. The thought flashed in her mind so fast she jolted forward in her seat. The prince's pendant, The Stone of Love.

"I know where The Stone of Love is or what it's hidden in."

A knock was at her door, and Fiona peeked in. "Ah, good ye are up."

She opened the door wider to allow a boy to drag a tub inside her bedroom. A guard outside her door was in the hall, leaning against the hallway wall. She saw him, and he smiled and saluted her. Oh, that Colin, so high-handed, always must have it his way. Let him; she didn't care; he can post one hundred guards. This ends today.

Later that day, she was in a day gown, waiting for the hour to approach for the wedding. She was getting wedding jitters but shook it off. It was fake anyway, but she still wanted it to be real to marry Colin. Fiona was sitting with her, working on some sewing. Bree would much rather be in the Chapel drawing. There was a knock at her door, and Fiona answered it. Minister O'Donnell entered with a guard following. Shocked at who entered her room, Bree stood from her window seat. Minister O'Donnell bowed to Bree.

"My Lady. I have come to offer my sincere apology for yesterday. I hope I have not caused you grief." His apology struck Bree speechless. Only yesterday, this man was convinced she was a witch.

Gathering her courage, she squared her shoulders and replied. "I forgive you."

The minister smiled. "The Laird has tasked me with giving ye some instructions for today." Bree blinked and held her hands together in front of her to still their shaking. The minister opened his book and approached Bree, but the guard stopped him with his hand. The minister looked to the guard and then to Bree, nodded once, and handed a folded paper to the guard. As the guard gave the piece to Bree, the minister delivered his instructions.

"The Laird has asked for a special ceremony today. While an old Gaelic custom, and rather unorthodox if ye ask me."

The guard spook slowly, "no one was askin ye." The minister closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and continued.

"He has asked for a Stone Vow Ceremony." Bree opened the paper.

"A stone vow ceremony?" The guard smiled, and Fiona sighed.

"Oh, my lady, it's an old and romantic tradition." The minister cleared his throat.

"I am to ask ye to memorize those vows and bring ye stone to the ceremony. My Laird has assured me you know which stone he refers to." Bree's hand went to her necklace. Grabbing the stone of Iona, she nodded. The minister bowed.