Chapter 10

"When the lights go out and leave you standing in the dark
No one ever told you this would be so hard
I know you think your fire is burning out
But I still see you shining through"

Got it in you ~ BANNERS

Austin and the girls are here, they came over for dinner

Austin and the girls are here, they came over for dinner. We're watching the Bruins game. They're up against the Maple Leafs. Elna trusted me to side up with the Canadian team. They're on fire this season. They have some of the best players in the league and their chemistry on the ice is undeniable.

She's sitting by my side on the sofa, with her legs crossed in front of her and her body leaning on my arm. Ruby is at her other side. Austin's chair is at the end of the sofa while Blake and Phoebe are lying on the floor in front of us.

I take quick glances at the girl on my right. She's giving all of her attention to the game. She put her blond hair up in a ponytail after the first period. It takes her a couple of seconds to notice her phone is ringing. She stands up and goes down the hallway before answering.

Once the second period is over I go to the kitchen to grab some drinks. Blake took my spot on the couch. When Bea sees me she stands up from beside my friend and sits on his lap to leave some space for me to sit. I raise my eyebrows to Blake, I have to ask him what's going on between them. They were good friends last year, but since we came back after the break, they've been closer than ever.

The intermission is over, the game resumes and Elna is still nowhere to be seen. I don't want to step in her life or make her feel uncomfortable, but I can't fight the urge to go check on her. I walk past the rooms and I hear muffled sobs when I'm by the bathroom door. I knock.

"Elna, are you okay? Can I come in?" She doesn't answer. "Please."

The door opens slightly and I get inside. Her phone is on the floor. With her back on the white-tiled wall, she slides until she's sitting on the floor. Her eyes are puffy and the clear blue is now three shades darker. She tries to inhale deeply, but her breath stutters. Her cheeks are redder than usual, a couple of tears have stopped their way down her face. She crosses her arms on her knees and hides her head between them.

It breaks my heart to see her like that and having no idea about what to do to help her. I don't know what could have happened. She looked so happy earlier.

I close the door behind me and go by her side. I place my hand on her back and start rubbing it up and down. I stay silent. The only thing I do for the next ten minutes is draw random things on her back. Her breathing has calmed down and when she lifts her head, she moves timidly to me. She wraps her arms around my body. I hold her tightly.

"You don't have to explain anything, but if you need someone to talk to, just know I'm here." I whisper in her ear.

"My mom is in a coma." I freeze. The only thing I know about her family is that her mother and grandma are living in Boston. That's why she moved here, to take care of them. But I didn't know her mom's health was bad enough to get her into a coma. But why would anyone tell her that through the phone? She goes to Boston every weekend. Couldn't they've waited until tomorrow?