Chapter 6

Overthe days that followed, Mr. Pure deteriorated. Cailyn did as well.

Mr. Pure becamedisheveled, distracted and distraught. Unable to sleep, concentrate,or function, he was with his family physically, yet emotionallyabsent. Cailyn's dark mood worsened. It manifested through hercomplete change of appearance. She hid behind bulky black clothingand punctuated her angry eyes with heavy black makeup. Cailyn becamebeautiful in a new, disturbing way.

Additionally, awedge grew between Cailyn and her friends as they became alienated byher newfound attitude and constant, short, grouchy mood. She beganto skip homework assignments altogether, and her exemplary gradesreflected by the change in study habits quickly. There were even acouple incidents of arguing in school that landed her visits to theprincipal's office; a phenomenon she'd never experienced before.

Mrs. Pure worriedand doted on them both. Clearly some emotional infection hadattacked her loved ones, but somehow she didn't figure out that thesame exact thing troubled both father and daughter. Mr. Puremaintained that he was simply enduring a trying time at work. AndCailyn just refused to address the changes in herself, and swore toher mother that nothing was wrong.

Finally the timecame when Cailyn received a much anticipated update on the Purefamily situation.

She lay in bed,propped on pillows, late one night. Unable to sleep, her bedsidelamp cast dim light across her as she read a dark and chilling bookof Grimm fairytales. She'd had no idea the original versions offairytales she'd known and loved all her life had originally been sofrightening. And, she loved it. Cailyn startled when her bedroomdoor quietly swung open. Her father slipped in, then softly shut thedoor behind.

He strode to herbed and dropped a sheath of papers unceremoniously onto her lap.

She blazed him witha quick glance of pure hatred, discarded her book, and then scoopedup the papers. She quickly determined they were printed emails.

From:MirrorMirror@faraway.net

To:QPure@faraway.net

11/121:23 p.m.

DearestQuinton,

Years. Years of my life I've devoted to you. You think you can carelesslycast me aside and be free of me?

Weshall see.

Love,Aliah

From:MirrorMirror@faraway.net

To:QPure@faraway.net

11/139:18 a.m.

MyDarling Quinton,

Don'tworry, lover. I won't tell. I have other plans.

YoursEternally, Aliah

From:MirrorMirror@faraway.net

To:QPure@faraway.net

11/142:26 a.m.

Quinton,

Answerme.

Aliah

From:MirrorMirror@faraway.net

To:QPure@faraway.net

11/1412:00 p.m.

Mr.Pure,

Aresponse on your part IS required. I can assure you, I am not awoman to be trifled with. As you well know.

SINCERELY,Ms. Joiner

From:MirrorMirror@faraway.net

To:QPure@faraway.net