Carnation

In the days following her heartfelt, moonlit walk with Natasha in which she spilled far more than she anticipated, Wanda had to admit she felt lighter. Finally handing off some of her baggage, unloading her burden, even partially, onto someone else, was unexpectedly alleviating. Now, with her dark secrets revealed, even to just one person, Wanda felt she could focus more intently on classes and catching up on weeks of neglected work. The end of the semester approached as the second week of November came and went, and the reality of failing loomed over Wanda.

In the weeks following her return to class, Wanda developed a bit of a routine. After the drain of an academic day, Wanda would stop by the flower shop on her way home, situating herself at the small table in the back of the store to study. She was much more productive this way, surrounded by the calming aroma of blooming flowers and the grounding scent of soil. Wanda's daily stops came at Natasha's request, not wanting the other woman to be alone after facing another day of classes that she had once shared with her brother.

So, every day, Wanda would plop herself down at her table, crack open a book, and work until Natasha and Yelena were ready to close up for the day. Yelena would often bring her tea or coffee without saying a word, and the gesture never failed to warm Wanda's heart. The younger woman really did remind Wanda of her brother in all the best ways. Cocky, smug, bit of a troublemaker, but heart in the right place. It was familiar, comforting, it was a reminder of better times.

Natasha, on the other hand, reminded her of no one. The redhead was new opportunity, she was chance and risk, a fresh start, and as she expertly chatted up customers and instinctively knew what they needed, Wanda could not help but watch.

"You're supposed to be studying, slacker," Yelena taunted as she sat a steaming mug of green tea on the wooden tabletop.

Wanda sputtered. "Oh! Yep, you're right. Gotta get back to," she glanced at her notebook, "chemical structure nomenclature."

Natasha slyly observed this interaction as she tied up a bouquet of carnations. She could not help but smile; she was genuinely proud of Wanda. The younger woman had been through so much, felt so much loss, but still, she persevered, and the way she was so determined to get her semester back on track amazed Natasha. Wanda, despite what she may say of herself, was doing alright.

As the store's evening crowd petered out, Natasha hung up her apron and flipped the door sign to 'closed'. So engrossed in her work, Wanda did not even look up when the redhead sat across from her at the rickety old table, just big enough for Wanda's spread of books and papers.

"Hey, Einstein," Natasha called, causing the other woman's head to snap up, pencil stilling in her hand. "How's it going?"

Wanda sighed, stretching her arms high above her head. "I don't know. I work for hours and still feel like I haven't made a dent."

"Small progress is still progress."

Wanda smiled at the aphorism. If said by anyone else, she may find it cheesy, or patronizing, but somehow everything Natasha said was sincere. "Guess you're right."

"What are you doing tonight?"

"Studying, probably."

"On a Friday?"

"Oh, shit, is it Friday?"

"God, I've created a studious monster."

"I have an idea!" Yelena called, practically sliding back down the bannister of the apartment stairs. "You're going skating with me."

"Wha- like, on a skateboard?" Wanda asked.

"How else?"

Natasha stood, shaking her head. "Eh, what the hell. It's Friday night and I have nothing better to do."