Chapter 3

Rowan's Point of View 

As I walk out of the coffee shop, I take big strides to my black Cadillac Escalade. I open the door and get in. I shut the door and lock it.

I take my phone out of my suit pocket and dial my dad's number. Both of my legs bounce up and down every second it keeps ringing and he's not answering. It rings a few more times and goes to voicemail.

I slam my phone against the steering wheel and my palm against it as well. After a few minutes, I calm down and dial the number again. This time it goes straight to voicemail.

I call again.

And again.

And again.

I call him again and this time he picks up on the seventh call.

"Rowan this better be important because you just interrupted one of the most important meetings I've ever-"

"I saw her," I say calmly, cutting him off. The line was so quiet. I check my phone to see if he had hung up. He didn't. He's thinking. I can hear him sigh.

I take a deep breath and exhale.

"I saw her at a coffee shop. She works there." I say getting frustrated. I run my hand down my face and thought about what I should do.

I haven't seen her in so long. I never meant to hurt her all those years ago. My life was just not perfect enough for her. She deserved better. She still does. She looked so beautiful with her dark brown curly hair pulled back into a ponytail. And her eyes seemed to gleam. She looked so happy before she recognized who I was.

Her reaction made me a little confused. I thought she would've cried and run up to me. Hug me. But now that I think about it, why would she do that?

I left her the day she buried her best friend. I left her with nothing. I left her when she needed me the most. I guess I was just hoping she forgave me.

"Don't go to that coffee shop again." My dad says interrupting my thoughts.

He hangs up and all I'm left with is silence.

I stare out my window and look at the coffee shop. I stare at it for a few more moments and look away to start my car.

I pull out of my parking spot and drive off, heading home. As I pull into my driveway, I exit the car and shut the door, locking it.

I enter my front door and shut it, walking past the foyer and straight to my office on the left. I lock the door behind me as I tread over to my desk.

As I kneel to a cabinet, I fish around in my pocket and take out a key for the lock. I unlock it and open the cabinet, entering my six-digit code.

I open my safe and pull out the hundreds of letters. I look at the letters that are all addressed to me. I rip open one of the envelopes and pull a piece of paper out. I unfold it and start reading at the very beginning.

Rowan,

It's been one whole month without you and I still don't know what to do. My life has been absolute hell without you. When you ended things with me, you said you were going to come back for me when my life and yours got better. But can't you see that my life won't get better because you're not in it? You also said you were sorry. But now that I think about it, were you even sorry Rowan? Were you sorry that I lost a friend? Were you sorry for leaving me? Were you sorry for hurting me? What part were you sorry for? I don't think you were sorry for any of it. If you were you would have comforted me when I lost Mariana, and I would have comforted you as well. I needed you. I still do. Please come back for me. If you do, I'll be waiting. I hate you though, I hate that you left me. I also hate that you made me feel like crap that day. But my hatred towards you doesn't compare with how much I love you. I feel so stupid saying this in a letter, but I do. I know we were only dating for a few months, but you made me feel like I was home. You made me feel like I was the only girl in the world that you saw. And that meant a lot to me. I just need you to come back for me, Rowan. Please.