An unexpected turn

As Joseph opened up his front door, closely followed by me, with files almost falling from my arms, we walked into the living room.

It was as messy as an 11 year old boy's bedroom!

I was just about to joke about his untidiness when I noticed a smashed window at the other side of the room.

Shit.

"Oh my god!" he yelled, as he dropped his guitar case and bags onto the floor. Running into the dining room where the window had been smashed.

I placed my files onto the floor and made my way over to where he was stood, looking like he'd seen a ghost.

"What?" I asked, knowing that the answer wasn't going to be pleasant.

It was silent for a few seconds, which made me wish I hadn't asked.

"It's gone, all of it".  He looked as if he was about to cry now, which made me feel a little uncomfortable.  But I took it upon myself to take charge of the situation because it didn't look as if he was in a fit state to do so himself.

"Money?"

"Yes".

"Call the police" I said, standing in front of him to block his view of the empty cabinet where the money must have once resided.

"O-Okay, sorry, do you want a drink or something, there's er, coffee downstairs and stuff" he stuttered, going into the living room to the phone.

"Just concentrate on doing that, I'll take care of drinks and stuff" I answered, making my way downstairs to the kitchen.

His house was upside down, not just because it had been broken into, but because of where all the rooms were.

I opened up random cupboards, trying to find the coffee.

Then I caught sight of it on the worktop.

"stupid girl" I spoke out loud to myself.

As I put the kettle on to boil, I made my way back upstairs, to see how Joseph was doing.