Chapter 16: In The End

Jinxx's POV

When night comes, Andy and CC go and look for an exit while Jake and I stay behind with Serenity to help her with her ability.

"We just have to take it easy. We don't wanna wear you out." I warn her.

"What would happen if you did?" She asks.

"Just know that it wouldn't be a good feeling." I get up and sit down next to her. "Okay, I want you to grab my hands and close your eyes." She nods and does just that.

"Now what?" She asks.

"Do you see anything, feel anything, hear anything?" I ask, trying to see if she needs to be touching the person to gain control.

"No, no, I don't." I let go of her hands slowly, and as soon as they break contact, she speaks. "Wait, I see something." She tells me.

"What do you see?" I ask.

"You're thinking about what your life might've been like before you got here. You're also thinking about me, which makes sense because we're doing this right now."

"Okay, so you can't have physical contact with the person you're trying to read, or your ability won't work." She opens her eyes again and looks at me.

"Maybe I can use this as an advantage in F.E.A.R. They won't know that I have this, and I'll be able to know what everyone is thinking in that room."

"That could be a possibility, but you can't get ahead of yourself. We still need to see what other restrictions your ability has."

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"There's some things that affect the use of your ability. Certain things in the air, physical touch, your surroundings, all of these things can hinder you from using your ability."

"What's yours?" She asks.

"I'm like you. I can't have any physical contact with the person I'm trying to read. If I touch them, or they touch me, I can't see anything about them anymore, but every ability is different."

"Do you know everyone else's weaknesses?" She asks.

"We've never really talked about it before. I don't know if the other guys know or not. I guess that's something we need to talk about as well."

"Can we get back to finding out how to control this? I really wanna focus on getting out of here, and if this can help, I want to make sure I have full control of it before going off and trying to use it." I nod. I continue to help Serenity, making sure I'm not overworking her. Eventually, I can see her getting tired, so I tell her that we have to stop.

"You've made excellent progress today. I'm sure that within the next few days, you'll have it mostly controlled." She nods before resting her head on the pillow and falling asleep.

The following day when I wake up, I look around and see that Andy's gone. It's normal for F.E.A.R to take someone early in the morning, but something about this just feels different. I decide to wake everyone up, and as soon as I do, the intercom goes off.

"We are not interested in the possibility of defeat, not within the silence of a deserted ally, nor the clamor of a crowded street. F.E.A.R. cannot be vanquished. We cannot be destroyed. F.E.A.R. will rise up and control the masses, take back the power and crush the insurgent hoard. The Rebels will begin to parish as war fades into distant memories of enlightened pigs and open wounds. One by one, they should feel the fear of dying young, not ignore the chance to scream. Lie awake at night in terror, admitting F.E.A.R. will return to glory and the story of the Rebels who set out to conquer will finish in blood." It shuts off.

"Guys, where's The Profit?" Serenity asks. "We've never gotten a message like that when someone isn't in the room." I can feel her start to panic, so I quickly rush over to her.

"It's okay. He's okay. They probably just took him to a F.E.A.R. session. We can't overthink this." I tell her.

"Jinxx, something feels off about this. I don't think The Profit is coming back." Jake says, trying to be quiet so he doesn't freak out Serenity even more than she already is. She runs her hands through her hair and starts pacing around the room.

"Just calm down. They wouldn't just take him and kill him. He didn't do anything wrong." I tell them. I'm trying to be the reasonable one here, but I'm starting to think that they really took him to kill him.

"You don't know that. F.E.A.R. is ruthless and will stop at nothing to hurt us in whatever way they can. The Profit and I were close, and that's why they killed him. They want to destroy me" She looks up at the camera and goes to walk over to it, but I stop her.

"Yelling at them won't bring him back." I tell her, finally giving in to the thought that Andy is most like dead by now. I never thought F.E.A.R would take one of us out. I always felt they would keep us here forever, but now everything's at stake. There's no more waiting around. We have to get out of here.