Trouble in Paradise Part II

...the Isonian Empire

Queen Neferities and Thoran returned from the new pyramid structures north of the city. Aderan came out to greet them and inform the queen of her brother's arrival.

"Excellent, dear. Please inform my brother that I will meet with him later for dinner to discuss his request."

"Very well, my Queen," said Aderan as she nervously contemplated another encounter with Amon. There is something odd about that man. He is not what he wants everyone to think. I should tell the queen my feelings on this matter, but I am not sure the best way to do that.

Once at the cottage, Aderan relayed the queen's message to her brother. "Thank you. My offer still stands if you would like to stay for a while," said Amon as he winked at the beautiful young assistant.

Aderan lowered her head slightly before responding, "Thank you for the offer, Commander, but I really must go and prepare for tonight's dinner."

Walking into the dining area later that evening, Amon spied Queen Neferities and Thoran engaged in conversation and laughter at the table. "So, I see you two have become reacquainted. I remember how close you both were when we were growing up," said Amon as he came over to his sister and gave her a hug.

"It has indeed been wonderful to spend some time with one of my dearest friends again. I even took Thoran out to see one of the projects we are developing north of the city." The queen looked towards her brother questioningly. "So, where were you off to last night, brother?"

"As you are probably aware, I took up the Illum religion again while I have been stationed at the western border. I stopped by the Illum sanctuary last night to pay tribute to the Gods. After talking with the High Priest, I accepted his offer to stay for the night. When I returned to the palace earlier this afternoon, your lovely assistant showed me the cottage. Thank you, Sister, for allowing me to stay on the palace grounds, and for considering my request."

Having already received details of Amon's stop at the sanctuary last night, the queen pondered her brother's words, I wonder what this connection with the Illum High Priest is about.

"I am glad to hear you have found a connection for your spiritual side, Brother. I am also glad to hear you like the accommodations Aderan arranged for you. Please sit down with us...and perhaps you can tell me more about your experiences on the western border and those you have established with the Illum religion."

Soon a feast of Tinaran quail and Rotaern vegetables was brought to the table for everyone to enjoy. Servers brought pitchers of wine over to the table to go with the delicious food. Queen Neferities looked towards her brother. "So, Amon, please share how you came back to the Illum religion of our youth."

"Well, there is not much to say about that. When I first arrived on the western border, I was feeling homesick and lonely. I thought that the Illum religion might be a way to remind me of home and help me overcome my loneliness. The Illum way has indeed helped me see the world in a new manner and has made me a better man."

Amon looked at his sister with curiosity. "With no disrespect, I am a little surprised by your interest. I seem to recall that structured religion was never really for you."

"You are correct, Brother. The Illum religion never really appealed to me, and I am grateful that Father saw that and arranged for my private lessons with Master Amati."

In truth, Queen Neferities despised the Illum religion and more specifically, the Illum leadership. In her youth, the queen observed the piety of the Illum priest and how they seemed to look down upon the common people of the Isonian Empire. Even with this disdain for the commoners, The Illum leaders constantly sought ways to use the resources of these peasants to fill their coffers. The young Neferities had even mentioned her concerns to Master Amati once and received this response: "Your insights into this matter are indeed correct, dear one, but it is best that you ignore this pious organization for now. One day, you will have the power and resources to make a change. Until then, continue your studies and battle training."