Chapter VII - My Name

She heard someone call out her name. It seemed like the voice came from another universe, far away from her. The world seemed so different suddenly. It felt like a peaceful place, like all the troubles of existence washed away.

She felt a soft bed under her body, covered by warm and soft blankets, the smell of leather and rum filled her nose as she rolled around and buried her face in the pillow. A sudden pain shot through her body when she moved too quickly, a maddening pain from her chest rushing through her limbs and firing up every nerve. A warm hand touched hers, calloused fingers caressing it softly, the touch light as a feather.

"(Y/N)." It sounded hurt, worried. Her brain didn't, but her heart recognized it. She felt his grip tighten around her hand before letting it go.

She slowly blinked her eyes open, drinking in her surroundings and processing the piercing pain in her body as the fog lifted from her mind. She was in a room – pale and dark wood surrounded her from every side, golden and red accents decorating it among old books and maps. She lifted her eyes to the man sitting next to her and tears filled them immediately. But after just a brief second of happiness, terror spread across her features.

She quickly moved her hand to touch her hair, but the sudden movement made her squeal in pain. Her hair was uncovered. Her shirt was gone – tight bandages replaced it across her whole chest. She looked at Killian with horror – but his expression was soft, almost pained. Anger was nowhere to be found. Her heart hammered against her ribcage which just emphasized the horrible pain she felt there.

"Killian." She whispered while looking up at him through half lidded eyes.

"I'm so sorry." His hand slowly caressed hers, his touch soft – much softer than one could expect from a man like him.

"You saved my life."

"I put you in danger." He answered and looked away from her, furrowing his brows. He stayed there for a while before looking back at her, his blue eyes piercing into hers. He bit his lips before looking away again. "Get some rest, love." He said before he placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand.

Her eyes snapped open as she sat up in her bed, but the sharp pain in her chest made her let out an annoyed groan as she leant on her arm. She looked around, the room was pitch black, only the faint light of the moon shone through the thick red curtains. Was it all just a dream? That was the only logical answer, she thought. The way he caressed her hands, how he looked at her. That must've been a fever dream. She lingered her fingers on the bandages on her chest and tried to feel her scar. She was all alone and couldn't hear a single noise from around her. Did she die? Was this the afterlife? She let out a shaky breath and stepped out of the bed with one arm pressing into her ribs. In the dark room she couldn't see much, and no matter how much she looked she couldn't find her clothes. She however found and old leather coat hanging on the back of one of the chairs so she decided to put it on because she didn't want to leave the cabin in her underwear. When she put it on the smell itched into the fabric filled her nose and made her heart feel heavy. The feelings rushed to her head and made it spin. The coat was warm, it smelled of leather, rum and his skin. The pain in her chest increased, but not because of her injury. She shook her head slightly and stepped towards the door of the cabin – everyone was probably asleep.

The cold night air tingled her skin beneath the long coat as she took a few steps barefoot on the deck. It reminded of her the night she had to sneak onto the ship barefoot so Killian wouldn't hear her. It was somehow funny to her – because he didn't hear her at the moment either. He was standing on the quarterdeck with his back to her, looking out onto the ocean.