Now

"It means nothing to me!" 

The shrill words echoed as Jared reached out for his girl and her back turned to him. His extended hand stretched further and his legs worked hard to carry him forward and inch closer.

"Jay, just go…"

Ollie was just out of grabbing distance, but Jared was closing the empty space between them as quickly as he could. He was close enough to smell the scent of her perfume and his fingers only just grazed her hand when she suddenly spun around.

"Jay. Please." She whispered, her voice cracking as tears pooled from her eyes sending shards of pain through his heart. 

The distance increased exponentially until she was too far to see and the floor fell out from under him. Darkness consumed his vision and he cried out in surprise and bolted upright, jolts of energy going throughout his entire body. He was sitting up in his tent, his Umbreon and Ralts sleeping soundly next to him. Unable to calm down, he left the tent and knelt by the stream of water he had camped by.

The splashing of the cold water refreshed him but didn't shake the burned image of Ollie's face, full of tears. His head ran through their last fight for the millionth time, leaving him to sit there staring at the waters for a few moments drowning in regret. He sighed and reclined back, gazing at the morning sky. Night shifted to day slowly, the stars twinkling softer and softer as morning light brightened the fields.

Two years had passed since they fought. The time between felt longer with neither of them setting eyes on each other not once through the years. Jared had wanted to find Ollie, but it had become clear that she didn't want to be found. Still, he searched and in his searching he'd grown stronger. 

Rowlet had grown greatly in level and stature, now a fully evolved Decidueye, a true powerhouse. His Eevee, now Umbreon, had grown close to his Ninetails and they caused mischief together frequently for the others. Zoroark and Lucario follow closely behind in Jared's team power with his young and shy Ralts being the caboose of the group.

It was another day. Zoroark and Lucario spared against one another, over and over again pushing each other to their limit just as they did every morning. Ralts wandered out of the tent with a sleepy yawn and hovered over to where Ninetails was eating berries. Jared smiled at the sight of his Pokémon then stared into the sky until all the stars had shut their eyes for the light of the sun and Umbreon slowly came into his view, looking down at him.

"Umbbrrr?" The Pokémon sounded, in a questioning sound.

"I'm alright." Jared patted the Pokémon's head twice, reassuringly. "Just wondering if I'll ever see her again."

Decidueye stood tall, calling out across the fields loudly, then pausing and calling out again. The Pokémon's call reverberated around the valley and was swallowed by the sound of Buizel splashing in the river yet Decidueye still called through the fields.

"Hey buddy, what's up?" Jared began disassembling his tent, readying for the day's journey as Ralts attempted to help.

"Deciiiduuu." The Pokémon urged, indicating that he wanted to move forward quickly and exciting the others.

"Alright, alright. I'm coming."

Jared packed everything up in a hurried but organized manner, running to catch up with Decidueye who was already stomping far ahead of them. Umbreon strode at his side, accompanying him like a guard while Ralts slept in his arms with Zoroark and Lucario trailing behind competing at breaking boulders each one bigger than the last. Ninetails walked elegantly and slowly at the back of the group, eyes sharp for any sign of danger and keeping both eyes on the competitive Pokémon easily distracted by one another. Decidueye led the group across the fields where they found a satchel or two that needed returning to their original owners. They walked until they came upon a steep waterfall filled with more Magikarp than one could count.