00.

Y/n was unsure why she was sitting in a hospital room alone with children's toys and 'helpful' posters, reminding her to eat her veggies and play outside. That was easier said than done when you had become recently orphaned. Only a few hours prior, y/n had been living a happy, average life with her mother and father, blissfully unaware of the cursed world that lived outside their door. That quickly changed when her mother burst through the back door in a panic, frantically ushering y/n up the stairs and into her closet, telling her not to make a sound until she came back.

Time passed slowly, horrifyingly so, as y/n covered her ears, trying to hum loud enough to drown out the shouts of fear and screams of pain that came from downstairs, reminding herself she needed to be quiet until her mother came to find her once more. After nearly four hours, y/n was still in her closet, frightened, hungry, and needing to pee. It had been quiet for long enough, the child thought, pushing open the closet slowly as she crawled out on her hands and knees, peering around the room. As she made her way to her bedroom door, which had been locked and barricaded from the outside, y/n knocked on the door, calling out for anyone. Maybe they had simply forgotten she was up there.

"Mommy?" Y/n called, knocking on the door once more. No answer.

"Daddy?" Y/n tried again, jiggling the door knob until she noticed it was locked. Gripping the small thumb turn, y/n quietly unlocked the door, grunting as she pulled it open, looking up at the desk and mound of other miscellaneous furniture stacked on top, like it had been thrown there in a hurry. Pushing a few books to the side, y/n climbed on top of the desk, hopping off the other side and walking toward the bathroom, looking down the stairs as she did so, simply out of habit and routine. She froze as she saw the disarray peeking out from behind the corner of the stairwell. There was a faint mist of blood sprayed across the wall near the doors, the floor below covered in scratch marks and haphazardly tossed furniture. Against her better judgment, y/n crept down the stairs, lurking behind the edge of the stairwell as she wondered what would be waiting for her on the other side. To her horror, a monster that looked like it had crawled out of her nightmares roamed what used to be the clean and tidy living room her mother meticulously curated, gurgling to itself as it stepped on the unmoving bodies of y/n's parents.

Too terrified to scream, y/n ran back up the stairs, launching herself over the desk at such speed that she almost entirely missed the piece of furniture, landing awkwardly on her arm, which screamed out in pain, but didn't slow the child. Locking the door back up, y/n returned to her closet, closing the door and tying it with a scarf she had received from her grandmother a Christmas prior. And she thought at the time it would be useless to her. Look at me now, Grandma. Hiding in the furthest corner of her closet, y/n couldn't help but wet herself, out of fear, and the unstoppable need she had to use the bathroom, not moving form the soiled spot as she heard the front door creak open downstairs, a pair of voices muttering to one another before y/n felt a jolt of energy running through the floor. Afraid it was another horrifying monster, y/n screwed her eyes shut, gripping her hands so tightly over her mouth that she left crescent shaped marks in her cheeks as the footsteps of whoever, or whatever, had entered the house drew closer.

"Since he's been gone, the curses around here have been getting so much worse." A male complained as he tromped up the steps, a quiet, feminine voice following behind in a bored agreeance. The two checked each room, eventually settling in front of the door that had been purposely blocked. With a few grunts and a swear or two, the pair had moved the desk out of the way, trying the door knob.

"Hello?" The man called out, trying the handle again. Y/n could feel the tears welling under her closed eyelids, begging whatever higher power there might be that she be protected if these people, or creatures, were out to harm her. Luckily, they weren't.