01

sometimes you have to give up on people

sometimes you have to give up on people. not because you don't care, but because they don't.

(please read the desc for warnings!)

=====

"My family and I are heading out of town to visit my grandma."

"Neat! Me and Saeko are gonna check out that new restaurant this weekend!"

Shouyou stopped bumping the ball as he overheard Tanaka and Daichi's conversation. He turned to Kageyama with a small smile.

"Do you have plans this weekend, Kageyama? Wanna practice?!"

Kageyama shook his head and held his hands out for Shouyou to throw him the ball. "Can't. My sister's visiting this weekend, Mom wants me to hang out with her. We've got tickets to the movies, too."

He set the ball, ignorant to the frown that almost tugged Shouyou's smile down. "Right, right! Have fun, then!"

"Well? What about you?"

At Kageyama's words, Shouyou grinned widely and caught the volleyball rather than bumping it. He laughed excitedly.

"My family and I are gonna eat dinner together tonight, and tomorrow, we're gonna go to the beach! I had a bit of free time Sunday, though, so I wanted to play volleyball!"

Kageyama nodded, Sugawara came over to see what got his kouhai so excited and ruffled up his ginger curls.

"What's going on?"

"Oh, we're talking about the plans we have with our families this weekend!"

Kageyama nodded to justify this. "That's cool, but make sure you don't slack off from practice or Daichi's gonna get mad, haha!"

"We won't!" Both the kouhai's exclaimed simultaneously.

"Do you have any plans for this weekend, Senpai?"

"Yep! Dad's helping me move into my apartment tonight and tomorrow!"

Shouyou's smile was unwaveringly bright, it made everyone around him feel light and fuzzy. That's just who Shouyou is, an easy-going, fun person to be around.

"Woah~! Congrats, Suga-Senpai~! That's super cool!"

"Yeah, yeah, don't worry, you'll reach that age in life where you'll have your own place, too, Hinata," Sugawara spoke wisely and even flipped his hair playfully to better play his words off.

He expected Shouyou to laugh and agree with a shimmering grin, but it didn't happen right away. The silence made him look down, Kageyama rushed after Tsukishima, who had made a snide remark while passing by.

Shouyou's eyes were dull, he rolled the volleyball around in his hands with dull eyes. When he realized Sugawara was staring, he grinned the grin his senpai had originally expected.