6

Malcolm-

With a deep breath, I latch onto her hand with my own, and begin to stride out of the room where we just shared our first moments of intimacy. My heart is still racing, pounding against my chest with overwhelmed excitement and pent up lust. I've been waiting on that exact kiss for five years now, and I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the best moments of my life.

Number two best moment of my life is quickly approaching.

Hopefully, the kiss was also a good moment for her, and the proposal will also be a happy memory for her. Honestly, hopefully it will be a good moment for me.

Not to sound selfish, especially since I've completely got the asshole upper hand here, but I'm really worried. I haven't had to talk to a woman in five years romantically, let alone date anyone. I've never proposed to anyone before, so not only am I unexperienced in this scheme, I also have no idea what I'm supposed to do. We're meant to be a happy couple in love, and we clearly have chemistry- that dressing room proves it- but will we really be able to convince everyone that we're ready for marriage? I know I can pull it off, because I won't actually be faking anything. But as far as she goes, she's met me mere hours ago, and there's no guarantee that her attraction to me will dignify any actual feelings.

Which she is not at fault for, not whatsoever. I can't expect her to reciprocate my feelings yet, especially not to my extent, but I know her parents expect it of her. Apparently, that's not the only thing they expect unreasonably. After observing their behaviors around her and away from her, I'm carefully decided that they display a facade in front of other people. Especially potential business partners, like my father. Most people do, but typically they just amp up what they've already got. They'll smile more, looking for a contract or agreement. They'll laugh at any joke you make, whether it's terrible or terrific not mattering in the situation. They'll agree to any terms, ready to sign their lives away for a chance at more money. It's sickening to witness, but it's reality. People aren't willing to change for the people they love under most circumstances, but you offer a check and suddenly they're completely transformed. Some people need money, and that's understandable; it's the purely selfish people that scare me.

Believe me, I would know. Being the son of a business man and growing up to be one for yourself will surely teach a boy what he needs to know about this corrupt system. Never trust a smile in the office, it's almost always artificial with an alternative motive. Instead of smiles coming off charming to me anymore, they all seem condescending, like crocodiles grinning at me before they devour their prey.

But with her parents, they don't just smile coyly at you.

They completely change their personalities. They present their absolute best traits, even if they're traits that the parents wouldn't actually be described with normally. It's frightening, because when their actual personalities are finally revealed, they're repulsive.

I pull myself out of my thoughts when we begin to near the main room where I hear chatter awaiting us. I know there's got to be at least a minimum of a few hundred people in this room, and there could even be more outside or on the way. Truth be told, even though I know much more about the situation than she does, I'm still clueless when it comes to most things regarding tonight. 

She attempts to yank her hand from mine, and I assume it's because she forgets we're supposed to be in love. She's most likely never walked in to a gathering hosted by her parents holding hands with someone for the fear of shame or fear from her parents, but she'll have to get used to it now that I'm around. I tighten my hand around hers until she gets the hint that I'm not letting go, and she finally stops trying to tug it from my grip.