Chapter 20

TW: Mentions of blood, guns, and death
_________________

Friend or Foe

The sound of the gun is loud and the ringing in Sunoo's ear is deafening. He feels his whole world crumble upon hearing the voice of Sunghoon abruptly stop. He fell to his knees shaking, an eery chill crept to his spine making him unable to utter a word. His chest tightens and his breathing becomes unsteady as hot tears flowed endlessly to his cheeks and down to the floor.

When is this nightmare going to end?, Sunoo thought. Everything happening was too much for him. He couldn't believe that in a matter of seconds, he lost Sunghoon again. After getting a taste of comfort and hope from hearing the latter's voice, it was gone in a blink of an eye.

The boys couldn't believe what they just heard. They feel like vomiting and each person's heart beat rapidly. Their palms are sweaty and their minds were going hazy. A series of unexplained emotions filled their bodies.

When the call ended, Heeseung quickly ran out of the room all of them were staying in. He aggressively opens the door and dashes out in a hurry. Everyone was taken aback at the sudden action but it did not stop them from quickly following the older.

Everyone left the room except Sunoo and Jungwon. Sunoo was still kneeling on the ground, not having enough strength to stand on his feet while Jungwon just watched his best friend sob painfully.

Jungwon hugged Sunoo tight as the latter cried with so much despair. Jungwon feels so lost at their current situation, he doesn't know how to process everything that had just happened. All he was sure of is that Sunoo is quietly losing himself, the river of tears his best friend cried ached his beating heart.

Jungwon didn't know what terrified him more, hearing someone get shot or watching his friend lose his mind. Jungwon tried his best to comfort the crying latter in his arms but he knows that it was not him that Sunoo needed right now, it was Sunghoon.

Heeseung who ran out of the room minutes ago made his way to the open space outside. The sun is bright and the light is blinding but this doesn't stop him from looking at the sky.

"SUNGHOON!!!! WHERE ARE YOU???!!"

Heeseung shouted with all his might while Jay tightly held him by the shoulders. Jay just watched how his friend screamed at the empty air under the humid weather. He watched how tears slowly fell to Heeseung's cheeks every time the latter's eyelashes fluttered

It broke Jay's heart when he heard those gunshots. He won't accept it, he will never accept the fact that he'll never get to see Sunghoon again. There is still that little voice in Jay's mind saying his friend is alive and Jay chooses to hold on to that. No matter how small the possibility is, Jay still wishes that one day when all the chaos is over, he would be given a chance to ride a motorbike with Sunghoon one last time.

It doesn't matter if he gets wounded again because of Sunghoon's lack in driving skills. No matter how many times they fall again, it would be okay. Jay would rather fall with Sunghoon than watch his brother suffer pain because of falling all alone.

Niki and Jake just watched as the two scream their lungs out, hoping for an answer. They stood quietly as the two called out to Sunghoon's name over and over again.

The sight of Heeseung breaking down and Jay holding him back tugged Nishimura Riki's heart.

Niki's two bullies were in front of him, screaming and begging for someone to return. He wonders if this what it feels to have a friend cry out your name, if this is what people referred to as an everlasting friendship.