Weddings and Funerals ✦ vii

a.n: for clarification, please check the updated note at the bottom of the cast chapter regarding viktor!

n: for clarification, please check the updated note at the bottom of the cast chapter regarding viktor!

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

❛❛𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐓𝐙𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃, 'Man is as a rope stretched between the animal and the Superhuman--'"

— 𝟏𝟕 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐆𝐎 —

The seven children stand packed in at the bottom of a winding stairwell in matching tracksuits as they wait for their cue. Perched at the top, nose buried in his scarlet leather-bound journal scribbling the last of his thoughts was their father. (And for one, their temporary guardian). His monocle tucked into his left eye as it always was, only enunciating the scornful glare landing on the academy. At his sideas he always wasViktor, whistle ready in hand.

"'a rope over an abyss. It is a dangerous crossing, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous trembling, and halting.'"

They all watch in anticipation as his pencil suddenly halts, his eyes darting to them precisely once before the book snaps shut and gives a curt nod. The whistle is brought up to Viktor's lips and a shrill ring floods the stairwell and so too do the mass of children that suddenly crumble apart.

"As much as you much strive for individual greatnessand strive you mustit won't come to you of its own accord..."

They had passed yet another round of posters when Diego finally stole Luther's lead. A triumphant smile began to bloom on his face when a muted whoosh filled his ears, knocking it right off. An indent in space-time itself spit out the form of his brother just steps ahead of him and a growl grew in his throat.

"you must also remember that there is no individual stronger than the collective."

It was quickly swallowed by the sound of sludging mud and the crunching of bones before his eyes found the source of the not-so-mysterious sound. A young and spirited Y/n had launched herself off the balcony and now sailed (somewhat clumsily) far above their heads and straight to the top with the assistance of her freshly sprouted sparrow wings. A rather untrustworthy giggle left her throat at her friend's angered words and the whistle blew, signaling her victory. Y/n had won and Five had blinked to the top.

"That's not fair!" He cried up the stairwell, stopping to swallow several heavy breaths. "They cheated!"

"They adapted." Corrects his father.

"The ties that bind you together make you stronger than you are alone."

Allison's quiet sobs nearly match the hum of the needle drilling into Diego's skin where the ink finds its new home. She clutches her left wrist tight to her person without touching the tattoo already pierced into her skin. The umbrella freshly etched into her wrist matched that of her brother Klaus who now holds her close in a hug. Tears slip from his eyes and he desperately wipes them away as his sister buries her sobs into his shoulder.