The Act

Back in the office the three of them settled in as Verantheis closed the door. "Now what is it you wanted to say?" He asked as he took his place behind the desk.

"As I told you when we were discussing meeting yesterday, there is a man that wants to marry me, without either of our agreements or disagreements our families had already had it planned when we were children, however there have been few that I've found that would be a worse match for me." She said not proud to be falling for not only a man, but an enemy of her homeland while betrothed to a man she had known since a child. After giving a few seconds to let that sink in she decided to give her reasonings. "My love lies with my ship on the battlefield and in the freedom of the skies and space. I get cabin fever when I'm docked and can't stand being stationary for very long. He wants to not only take me from the front lines but to lock me away as a housewife like a pet." She cringed at the thought of rarely leaving the house.

Apparently the three men in front of her felt the same way as the two young ones appeared horrified and Verantheis appeared shocked more so than horrified as he laced his fingers behind his desk. "And do you believe that your commander would allow the number one pilot in their forces to be locked away by a spouse who doubts her capabilities?"

"I know at least one of them would be on my side, but with his connections between the councils and my higher ups, there would be little chance of me remaining in the skies for long." She sighed knowing that Jeremiah would call in every favor he had owed to him that it took to lock her away.

"So in other words, I believe you're saying that if I were to make them choose between surrendering you, or surrendering the war, they would surrender their top pilot and best fighter in order to make one man happy and continue this challenge our ancestors started over a single relationship?" Verantheis tilted his head in thought.

"I never heard that side of it. We were always told that the war between our sides started over a thievery between supposed friends. When accused and put on trial the boys family thought it unfair and the people swarmed and attacked creating chaos across the galaxies." She said, thinking his idea over. "I know they wouldn't want to give me up easily, but surrendering the war would be out of the question. They all believe you guys to be demented and cruel. However if I was to be thought dead already, then there's no one to hold me back from starting fresh here, and keeping the vows we've apparently made to have each other's back would be nearly impossible to do if I went back."

"You could always claim we brainwashed you and you no longer wish to live there. We could even teach you our anthem." Zakiah teased piping in with a grin.

"As disturbing as that could be for them, I doubt that would be enough for them to give me up, I'd probably learn some disgustingly dark secret about my own people that I would be happier to have never known." She reflected back at him before returning her attention to Versntheis.

"Well then shall we make that call and see exactly what they have to say or perhaps they don't know we have you just yet." he said as his wrist beeped. With a sigh and a visual change of face coming over him he answered making Krystal realize that he had been relaxing. "What is it?" He asked back in commander mode.

"Sir we have another ship flying through the sector, no response to any transmissions on our closed lines and our public civilian channels." Came a voice from his wrist.

"Take a squad and follow them if you get the chance, corner them. We'll join you shortly." He said tapping on a button and turning back "alright children, let's go. Nereus grab a set of cuffs in case we have to put on a show to keep her from her prison a while longer." He said standing from behind his desk and heading for the door.

Sending a concerned look towards Nereus Krystal and Zakiah followed as the four of them moved back to the dock. Within minutes they were heading towards the coordinates given landing them not far from where she had been shot down. Straight ahead she knew the ship. Apparently her brother had cracked her computer, no doubt without a push or several from Jeremiah. With a sigh she unhooked from her belt. "Well then, hello Mr. Kade Anvindir." She said with a sigh as a hysterical voice she knew too well came across the line. That dropped her heart to the floor and made her want to run back to the barracks with Nereus and Zakiah.