Tango In The Night

*Warning: If you don't like classic rock, and if you're squeamish about smut...read with caution!!! <3

********************

"I live in an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block..."

The lively growl of Mick Jagger singing "Get Off My Cloud" rang out through the entire first floor of the house late Saturday night. Lindsey was busying himself with collecting various wires from the floor of the studio, wrapping them neatly around his arm so he could close up the room for the night. "Twisted", the track they were making for Twister, was officially finished by about seven o'clock that evening, and Stevie kept her promise and recorded the track in the little white nightgown, winking at Lindsey from her place at the microphone on the lyric "crazy men, crazy women" and smiling shyly as he stared at her at times like she was the most beautiful woman on earth, and other times as if he were starving and she was a meal. They ordered an actual meal after that, eggplant parmasean and baked ziti from a nearby Italian restaurant to share, which they devoured sitting cross legged on the floor of the studio. Lindsey played keep-away with forkfuls of baked ziti, making Stevie close her eyes and wait for him to feed her bites, and they agreed that since the work was done they would not talk shop at all for the rest of the night, and just relax and enjoy each other's company. Stevie disappeared upstairs to shower after dinner, and by the time she'd dried her hair and put on another beautiful silk nightgown and matching robe - emerald green tonight - Lindsey was heavily involved in cleanup and was singing and dancing around the studio. He heard Stevie at the top of the stairs and called out, "Come down here for a minute, sweet girl! Dance with me!"

Stevie appeared in the doorway, and the sight of her freshly bathed and glowing in her emerald green nightgown and robe made his heart begin to pound in his chest. She was so beautiful! He had a microphone wire in his hands as he approached her with a teasing grin on his face, and he wrapped the wire around her waist from over her head to pull her close. Knowing how Stevie loved the Rolling Stones as much as he did, he sang to her playfully, "The telephone is ringing, I say hi, it's me, who is it there on the line?"

"A voice says, hi, hello, how are you? Well, I guess I'm doin' fine," Stevie replied, singing the next lyric. They danced around to the music like they had many years ago, late at night in a little bedroom in their pajamas after smoking pot together before collapsing on the mattress in laughter before he'd take her in his arms and undress her and spend the night making love to her until they fell asleep in each other's arms. It was a very rare occasion when Lindsey actually danced, and Stevie didn't stop to question it; she just assumed he was in a good mood because of the events of the past twenty-four hours. He was jumping around the way he did to "Tusk" on stage, stopping to take her hand and twirl her around, saying, "Twirl for me, baby," and watching her twirl around in her open robe the way she twirled on stage in one of her many shawls. He couldn't take his eyes off of her; she was a whir of golden hair and emerald green silk, so beautiful his heart leapt in his chest, and he thanked God to have Stevie back, the real Stevie, the animated little girl who twirled around to the Rolling Stones in her nightgown with abandon and laughed as she spun back into his arms and landed a bit hard against him. He caught her before she fell over.

"I've got you, angel." He made sure she was steady on her feet, and when she looked up into his eyes, she knew he didn't just mean catching her before she fell just then. He wrapped his arms around her then, and the song changed to "Dance With Me" by Orleans. They looked into each other's eyes then, each of them sure the other was remembering the last time they had danced to that song, the night she'd returned from Aspen after he'd left her there in a huff with forty dollars, Ginny the dog, the broken-down Toyota and strep throat. He had profusely apologized as she'd ignored him, standing at the kitchen sink and washing dishes as the radio played, and when "Dance With Me" started playing, he had stood back and held out his hand to her, singing, "Dance with me...I want to be your partner, can't you see? The music is just starting, night is calling and I am falling...dance with me..." Stevie had just written "Landslide" in Aspen, questioning whether she should stay with Lindsey and with the music and decided to come home, after calling her mother and crying and begging her for money for a ticket home, and there was Lindsey, holding out his hand and telling her "the music is just starting" and he wanted to "be her partner"...and how could she resist? She had turned off the sink, removed her rubber gloves and taken his hand, and he had wrapped his arms around her to slow-dance around the kitchen, singing the song to her in a whisper at her ear, and before long, Aspen was forgotten and she was lying beneath him on the mattress on the floor, listening to him tell her he loved her and he needed her by his side and that she was beautiful as he undressed her, and in the twenty-one years since, she had never been able to hear "Dance With Me" by Orleans without remembering that night.