Chapter 19

However, dark the night, however, dim our hope is, the light will always follow the darkness. — Louis Zamperini

Tranquility encompassed the Jaramillo family as the weeks passed. However, Paloma couldn't erase the fear that consumed her.  A fear that something might go wrong. 

Her heart squeezed as she looked toward the stairs. Iris descended the stairs with a grim expression. Paloma wished she had the power to wipe away the sorrow that gleamed in her sister's eyes. 

"Morning, Sis; how are you doing?" Paloma asked as Iris slipped into a kitchen stool. 

Iris scowled. "I need to find another job ASAP!." She snatched the folded newspaper on the table and flipped it open. 

"That's understandable! I am sure you will find a job in no time."

"I hope so," Iris said without looking up. "I don't think I can tolerate being at home for another week."

"I understand how you feel." 

Silence returned and Paloma's eyes returned to the pages of the book opened in front of her. Information about various herbs filled the pages. Her ears perked up as footsteps drew closer. 

"Morning, Paloma and Iris!" Alexa's cheerful voice filled the space. 

Iris grunted a response without raising her head. Paloma sent her a smile and asked about her night. 

"It feels nice having both my sisters at home at the same time." Alexa grinned as she took a seat. 

Iris produced a scoff. "I don't like it one bit." 

Paloma watched Alexa's smile fall and sadness welled within her. Ever since Iris lost her job, she had become snarky in words and gloomy in attitude.

"Yes, it feels nice but it won't last forever; you will get a job very soon," Paloma said in a light tone with the hope of brightening the atmosphere. However, her hope shattered as both her sisters remained unsmiling. 

"I am going to make a cup of coffee for myself, is anyone interested?" Alexa broke the silence.  

Paloma shook her head. "No, thank you! I just had a cup of tea."

"What about you, Iris?" 

Iris grunted. "No, thank you! Everything tastes bland in my mouth lately." 

Alexa sighed and shook her head. Paloma's heart churned in pain for her elder sister. Several minutes passed with tension hanging over the ladies. An occasional flipping from Paloma's book cracked the silence. 

Suddenly, a loud slapping sound vibrated against the walls of the kitchen.  

"Ughh, none of the job vacancies look worthwhile." 

Paloma looked at Iris and sympathy filled her. Iris's face was marred with a deep scowl. 

"What jobs are you seeing?" Alexa asked after taking a sip of her coffee. 

"Nothing I can do!" Her mouth curled into a pout. "It's mostly positions of salespersons that are available." She shook her head. "I don't want to deal with customers who would try to frustrate me with their unending demands." She puffed out a breath and went silent. 

"Hmmm." Alexa hummed and drummed on the table. "I have an idea!" she suddenly exclaimed with sparkling eyes. 

Paloma turned to face her with a curious look. 

"And what's that?" Iris asked. 

"Well, why don't you assist Paloma in the shop until you get a job of your choice."